What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Cyclone88

Hello,
I have never owned/operated a skid steer before, and an looking into getting one. I would like it to be an older (late 90s up to 2010) mid-size, diesel skid steer. I would like to be able to run a backhoe, a grapple bucket, a tree puller/shear, and a normal bucket. I would like a high horsepower machine. And my budget is $15,000. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!

mrbb

when ever your talking older used machines, the BEST one will be the one in the best shape/condition and was cared for, brand really doesn't mater at this point IMO!
as there really are no models to really stay away from IMO<
how well they were treated and what they were used for will matter more , than saying "X" model to buy or stay away from !

and I gather your talking 70+ HP models, and finding one near you in GOOD condition and in that price range will be the game to play, I don't think its going to be very easy to get into one in your price range , in great shape, unless you get really lucky!
machines are bring high price tags right now!

And If I was you, and didn;t have experience in skid steers or machinery in general!,
I would make sure to bring someone that has experience with them to do a Good once over on the machines your considering, to help up the odds of you getting something decent!
and I would also start learning to know what to look for on used machines in general, so once you get it, you will know what to do and look out for
as they say knowledge is power!!
and also, the newer the machine, odds increase IMO< that they will be easier to flip a cab to do work when needed, some of the older machines were not so user friendly to do so
still GOOD machines, just more steps to get cabs tilted for repairs!

and lastly
keep in mind all machines break down, so, having a dealer for "X" brand near you will come into importance some day down the road,
so maybe stick to makes that you have dealers closer to you!
food for thought

jimhubersr

Cleaner engine compartment is always good to see. With engine running, pull dip stick to verify no cylinder blow-by…. if oil comes out, turn around and walk away. Try to avoid machine with non-functioning hour meter, you don't know what you're getting. Newly repainted machines look good but how bad did it look before, was it worked pretty hard? Don't be in too big of rush to buy one and for sure bring along someone who knows a bit about skid steers/diesels. Good luck.

Kathiserling

kyhamoge

Hello,
I have never owned/operated a skid steer before, and a looking into getting one. I would like it to be an older (late 90s up to 2010) mid-size, diesel skid steer. I would like to be able to run a backhoe, a grapple bucket, a tree puller/shear, and a normal bucket. I would like a high horsepower machine. And my budget is $15,000. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!
I bought a Bobcat S175 new in 2005. The machine is an absolute beast! Does everything I need it to, and has been extremely durable.
I have been consistent with regular maintenance items on the machine.
Bobcat is the original and the best skid steer manufacturer…IMHO!

Latest posts