What have I got myself into

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

I just had another look at the engine mount, it looks like the bottom of the housing has broken off? Hopefully its just the way i'm looking at it. Even if it is broken, i'm sure you can work out something to make it hold down tight.
It does look like some of the casting is broke away. Which mount is it (what corner) I don't have mine here right now, but I can take a look, sometime. You may have to make a weldment and bolt it to this casting. Then rubber mount it to the frame so it does not do more damage (hopefully)
Ken

OP
OP
L

latrobe

It does look like some of the casting is broke away. Which mount is it (what corner) I don't have mine here right now, but I can take a look, sometime. You may have to make a weldment and bolt it to this casting. Then rubber mount it to the frame so it does not do more damage (hopefully)
Ken
The right rear motor mount issue will have to wait till I get some more time to work on it. So I thought I'd do a quick oil change on the motor, and for a change it went without a hitch. Also wanted to check the chaincase oil level, But I don't know how. Could someone please tell me that the pic shows the oil level plug and not the oil drain plug, because when I take the plug out, oil only dribbles out.

pondfishr

The right rear motor mount issue will have to wait till I get some more time to work on it. So I thought I'd do a quick oil change on the motor, and for a change it went without a hitch. Also wanted to check the chaincase oil level, But I don't know how. Could someone please tell me that the pic shows the oil level plug and not the oil drain plug, because when I take the plug out, oil only dribbles out.
On the 743's you check the level by removing the drain plug and the oil level should be even with the bottom of the hole.

skidsteer.ca

On the 743's you check the level by removing the drain plug and the oil level should be even with the bottom of the hole.
Yes that pictures shows the level.
The drain is underneath the machine by the rear axle, and hopefully still has its protective "flat steel plate " cover held on by 3 3/8" bolts.
Don't be too surprised if your chaincase oil is milky white from water contamination. Often the covers on the top side of the chain case have there gasket fail and rain water leaks in from the top.

Ken

OP
OP
L

latrobe

Yes that pictures shows the level.
The drain is underneath the machine by the rear axle, and hopefully still has its protective "flat steel plate " cover held on by 3 3/8" bolts.
Don't be too surprised if your chaincase oil is milky white from water contamination. Often the covers on the top side of the chain case have there gasket fail and rain water leaks in from the top.

Ken
I'm glad to find out that the plug on the front of the tractor was the oil level and not the oil drain. The oil that dripped out looked like normal oil also, so I think no water here and glad to find that out too. Thanks for your help on that.
Now back to the motor mount issue. I cleaned up the area and took it apart for a look see and now I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I can tell that the forward corner of the bottom flange is broken, but not sure where that nut is supposed to sit. I think theirs a lot of damage or wear here. Was that flange supposed to be all the way across with a hole for the bolt to pass thru and the nut to sit on or was their a slot for the bolt. Or maybe I'm missing some parts, like a thick washer that would fit in that grove just above the broken flange. I sure would like to see one in good condition.
I'm thinking about making a new nut or you mite call it a T-nut that would sit on the second flange just north of where the nut is in the pic., but I'm open for other repair options. Tell me what you would do, I'm willing to listen. thanks a lot.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm glad to find out that the plug on the front of the tractor was the oil level and not the oil drain. The oil that dripped out looked like normal oil also, so I think no water here and glad to find that out too. Thanks for your help on that.
Now back to the motor mount issue. I cleaned up the area and took it apart for a look see and now I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I can tell that the forward corner of the bottom flange is broken, but not sure where that nut is supposed to sit. I think theirs a lot of damage or wear here. Was that flange supposed to be all the way across with a hole for the bolt to pass thru and the nut to sit on or was their a slot for the bolt. Or maybe I'm missing some parts, like a thick washer that would fit in that grove just above the broken flange. I sure would like to see one in good condition.
I'm thinking about making a new nut or you mite call it a T-nut that would sit on the second flange just north of where the nut is in the pic., but I'm open for other repair options. Tell me what you would do, I'm willing to listen. thanks a lot.
From memory, see the slot about half way down? the nut sat in here. This way you can tighten the bolt from the underside without worrying about the nut spinning at the top. If it was me, i'd simply get a longer bolt, and machine a piece of round steel to act as a washer. I'd make it with a step to go down into where the nut is currently sitting just to hold it centre It may even pay to bolt a piece of flat steel stock to the side so the bolt can't lean over and come free from the mounting. There really is no point attempting to weld the base, it will remain a weak point.
Does any of that make sense?