What engine RPM to use?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RedNeckMike

Hello I am new to skid steers. Bought a Bobcat S150 works as should.
spent 11 hours playing with bucket and snow blade so far moving snow banks in my yard.
Greased all nipples at 10 hours even under seat. I picked up a sweet 1998 709 backhoe in great condition.
I have ordered proper Brackets to mount on Machine. Question is I have know Idea what RPM I should be running at?
For snow seemed to feel good 1800 to 2000 rpm? For backhoe? I will play with 709 at 1st digging passages through massive snow piles
to get the feel and coordination of controls but what would be a good RPM for snow and then in spring for clay?
Having fun in Canada :) Mike

brdgbldr

Hello I am new to skid steers. Bought a Bobcat S150 works as should.
spent 11 hours playing with bucket and snow blade so far moving snow banks in my yard.
Greased all nipples at 10 hours even under seat. I picked up a sweet 1998 709 backhoe in great condition.
I have ordered proper Brackets to mount on Machine. Question is I have know Idea what RPM I should be running at?
For snow seemed to feel good 1800 to 2000 rpm? For backhoe? I will play with 709 at 1st digging passages through massive snow piles
to get the feel and coordination of controls but what would be a good RPM for snow and then in spring for clay?
Having fun in Canada :) Mike
There is no correct answer to this. Conditions of material, attachment size, etc. This is why a lot of the newer machines not only have a throttle lever but also a peddle.

Snow is a good example. It can be powder, real wet or turning to ice and everything in between. That's where experience comes in.

Soil can be all over the place. It can change from easy digging, to boulders, to sand, to clay…..just by depth.

Sounds like your on the rIght track. Trial and error.