What do you think of this Bucket idea?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RS Coyote

I know where I can get a Bucket of a Case 580 for $50 - $100 not sure yet on price. It's about six and a half to 7' wide. I was thinking about making a backing plate for it and using it to move lose dirt or lite material w/ my 863G HF. What do you think?

Tigerotor77W

There are two questions I would have with this setup: 1) how big is the bucket? 2) what "light material" do you plan to move with it? I agree that $50 to $100 is a great price for a bucket, but the 863 is technically a 3/4 yard machine... throwing a 1.25 or even a 1 yard bucket may exceed your ROC -- especially at mid lift -- quite easily. However, if you mean you want to move mulch (probably not even light dirt...), that may work out very well. Just make sure (!) that you mount the bracket so that it gives you more rollback.

OP
OP
R

RS Coyote

There are two questions I would have with this setup: 1) how big is the bucket? 2) what "light material" do you plan to move with it? I agree that $50 to $100 is a great price for a bucket, but the 863 is technically a 3/4 yard machine... throwing a 1.25 or even a 1 yard bucket may exceed your ROC -- especially at mid lift -- quite easily. However, if you mean you want to move mulch (probably not even light dirt...), that may work out very well. Just make sure (!) that you mount the bracket so that it gives you more rollback.
It's a 1 yrd bucket about 84" wide. I was thinking of using it to trans port drit. Is this bucket to big? I could cut the top down 6-8" with my plasma cutter and weld a pipe across the top. ?????????

Tigerotor77W

It's a 1 yrd bucket about 84" wide. I was thinking of using it to trans port drit. Is this bucket to big? I could cut the top down 6-8" with my plasma cutter and weld a pipe across the top. ?????????
If you want to haul dirt (specifically, light, fluffy soil), and NOT lift it, dig in it, load it, or go across slopes with a loaded bucket, the 863 will handle it. However, if the dirt you are referring to is clay, or is denser dirt (mud), the 863 will likely become unstable. Remember, the only machines now to use a 1 cubic yard bucket are the Gehl 7810 and Mustang 2199... which have capacities of 3,600 lbs ROC. The cutting down idea may be possible... not sure. If I am picturing the bucket correcting, the base of the bucket isn't too long, so in theory, that might work out. Any other thoughts, other people?

sterlclan

If you want to haul dirt (specifically, light, fluffy soil), and NOT lift it, dig in it, load it, or go across slopes with a loaded bucket, the 863 will handle it. However, if the dirt you are referring to is clay, or is denser dirt (mud), the 863 will likely become unstable. Remember, the only machines now to use a 1 cubic yard bucket are the Gehl 7810 and Mustang 2199... which have capacities of 3,600 lbs ROC. The cutting down idea may be possible... not sure. If I am picturing the bucket correcting, the base of the bucket isn't too long, so in theory, that might work out. Any other thoughts, other people?
Might be cheaper to make some bolt or clamp on wings for the standard bucket for the 1/4 yd extra is it really worth the risk?