Webasto??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

aquasplash

Hello Everyone! I run a snow removal company in the prairies in Canada. I bought a new Cat 262D skid steer 2 years ago and love the machine. This year though I do not have in door heated storage for the machine. Last year when I left the machine outside and plugged in, when it started in would clank and bang until it warmed up. SO I would prefer not to leave it outside, but have no choice. Ive thought about having a webasto coolant heater installed on the machine. Anybody know of anybody that has done this to a skid steer or if it even possible. And if possible would there be any damage done to the machine? Any help would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
I know it gets real cold on Canada, being in a heated shop would be ideal, possibly a lighter hydrostatic oil could help with running in winter.
A coolant heater will help with starting the engine, but it won't heat up the hydraulic pumps.
I have heard people using a tarp and a space heater to warm the entire machine, being outside, i don't know how well that will work as it could be covered in snow....

SkidRoe

Unless you have no access to electricity near by, I would avoid a diesel fired block heater. They are more trouble than they are worth. The biggest issue that I have run into with them is unless they are run year round, they require intensive annual maintenance. They do not like to sit without being fired for long periods of time.
My choice would be a circulating electric block heater:
https://www.amazon.ca/Zerostart-Tem...ocphy=9001065&hvtargid=pla-448591822702&psc=1
The real beauty of these is that they do not need to be powered for very long to do their job, depending on your ambient temperature of course.
Like Tazza said, they will only warm your engine, they will do nothing to warm up your hydraulic system.
Hope this helps - SR