water in gear box question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrbb

OK I have a an older lx865 machine, that I have water in the right side drive gear box, or think thats where I have water haven't been able to do much to things, between bad heath and very cold temps was trying to let it go till warmer weather but it keeps freezing up when temps go below freezing I only use machine for summer work and MAYBE for plowing at the place where its at we just got hit with a huge blizzard there, 30+ inches of snow and tried to get machine to move used a torpedo heater for about an hr to get it warm enough to allow it to drive I was wondering if there is anything I can add to the gear box fluid to maybe help stop it from freezing I have some SEA FOAM, on hand and it says it will stop from icing but not sure if it would harm anything if I added it to the gear box I know what ever fluid in there now is BAD, so, thinking it cannot hurt anything, but I am not mechanic here at all SO< would anyone advice against adding this stuff ir recommend something else going to be snowing here for next week or more and temps NOT going above freezing for 10+ days SO< hate to have to keep using heater to melt things If I can add something and be plowing with less down time?? Thanks in advance

jerry

If you thaw it with the heater take out the drain plug /drain the water and add oil as necessary. wont take any longer than heating it twice.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

If you thaw it with the heater take out the drain plug /drain the water and add oil as necessary. wont take any longer than heating it twice.
well I would rain and replace, but from what I gather on this model its NOT a simple deal cab needs to go forward and a bunch of other things to get near it to drain it, and then fill it which is more than I can bite off on my own with my health, even IF weather was nice and I had a shop to work on it the sad party is I PAID a NEW Holland dealer to replace ALL fluids on it this Oct, in order to NOT have issues come snow season but they apparently never replaced it and just charged me for doing so?? it take a LONG time to heat up with a torpedo heater, about 40+ minutes, due to I gather so many covers ands so much metal between OUT side and inside where gear box is I added seas foam (thru the dip stick hole)and so far hasn't re froze again when things get warmer and NO more mud, will try and change fluid RIGHT but mean time, it has sea foam in it which seems to be working as I hoped?