wanted char lynn hyd motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gazza

Hi all, I have a pair of Charlynn hydraulic motors model number 109-1120-006 24 ci with a 4 bolt front housing and a 14 t x 1.1/4" shaft The guy I bought them off said they were off some kind of earthmoving equipment, so I'm thinking skid steer, trencher, ditchwitch, excavator? etc Any Ideas what they could be off, I need to buy another two. here is a link to an add from the "Surplus Centre" in the US, mine are the same capacity but have a 4 bolt front housing http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/Gazza_06/?action=view&current=Charlynhydmotor.jpg thanks for any help you can give Gazza

sterlclan

my 630 has 109 1052 004 series char Lynn motors why 4 ? bobcat uses 2 with chains to drive both tires on one side these guys can help with suppling hydraulic items precisionfluidpower.com [email protected] ...Jeff

OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

my 630 has 109 1052 004 series char Lynn motors why 4 ? bobcat uses 2 with chains to drive both tires on one side these guys can help with suppling hydraulic items precisionfluidpower.com [email protected] ...Jeff
Jeff, thanks for the link and the information. Can you tell me what size (cubic inches) your 109 series motors are. I have had a good look through my Char lynn files but it doesn't list a "1052" could this be a made for bobcat's only motor. Also can anyone post a link to a photo of these motor/chain set up, and does it run a reduction in the chain drive to the wheels (standard bobcat rims and tyres15" ?) thanks for your help Gazza

Tazza

Staff member
Jeff, thanks for the link and the information. Can you tell me what size (cubic inches) your 109 series motors are. I have had a good look through my Char lynn files but it doesn't list a "1052" could this be a made for bobcat's only motor. Also can anyone post a link to a photo of these motor/chain set up, and does it run a reduction in the chain drive to the wheels (standard bobcat rims and tyres15" ?) thanks for your help Gazza
I don't think i have a picture of the setup but simply put this is how its done
The motor and gear reduction box is in the centre of the chain case, the output shaft has a double sprocket. A chain from the inside sprocket links to the rear drive sprocket and the outer one links to the front drive sprocket. It doesn't matter what one is used for front or back but thats the basic idea. The details of the motor you gave me have a low rotation speed so i doubt you would need a gear box to reduce the speed. I would like to see a bearing support on the nose of the output shaft to take the load off the main bearing and seal.
On a bobcat the chain case is only 30 or so cm wide, the axles have bearings at both ends of an axle tube that the oil in the chain case lubricates.
I will try and find pictures of this, but i'm not too sure if my manual shows this or not.
I hope that made a little sense.

sterlclan

I don't think i have a picture of the setup but simply put this is how its done
The motor and gear reduction box is in the centre of the chain case, the output shaft has a double sprocket. A chain from the inside sprocket links to the rear drive sprocket and the outer one links to the front drive sprocket. It doesn't matter what one is used for front or back but thats the basic idea. The details of the motor you gave me have a low rotation speed so i doubt you would need a gear box to reduce the speed. I would like to see a bearing support on the nose of the output shaft to take the load off the main bearing and seal.
On a bobcat the chain case is only 30 or so cm wide, the axles have bearings at both ends of an axle tube that the oil in the chain case lubricates.
I will try and find pictures of this, but i'm not too sure if my manual shows this or not.
I hope that made a little sense.
not sure of the size "they" told me the middle numbers are model or engineering numbers 109 "should" be the size and yes it is a bobcat type part and my machine dosent have any reduction the motor shaft has a double sprocket one to the front one to the back Ill look for pictures I know I have some somewhere.....Jeff

OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

not sure of the size "they" told me the middle numbers are model or engineering numbers 109 "should" be the size and yes it is a bobcat type part and my machine dosent have any reduction the motor shaft has a double sprocket one to the front one to the back Ill look for pictures I know I have some somewhere.....Jeff
Hi all, I have been searching for the last week and have not had much success. Jeff, the "109" designation is the model of the hydraulic motor, the next 4 digits are the capacity/shaft type/ bolt designation. Looking through all of the charlynn website it looks like the "1052" is a motor built for bobcat. Not that it really matters, I am just trying to find the capacity of these motors for a comparison to see if I can use only the two motors. Tazza, any pictures or diagrams you can list would be great, you also mentioned that the bobcat runs into a gearbox? then to the double sprockets, is this a reduction or just a change of direction? thanks for your help Gazza

Tazza

Staff member
Hi all, I have been searching for the last week and have not had much success. Jeff, the "109" designation is the model of the hydraulic motor, the next 4 digits are the capacity/shaft type/ bolt designation. Looking through all of the charlynn website it looks like the "1052" is a motor built for bobcat. Not that it really matters, I am just trying to find the capacity of these motors for a comparison to see if I can use only the two motors. Tazza, any pictures or diagrams you can list would be great, you also mentioned that the bobcat runs into a gearbox? then to the double sprockets, is this a reduction or just a change of direction? thanks for your help Gazza
The gearbox is a reduction drive to the drive sprockets. As you said these motors have a very low RPM you won't need the reduction drive. There was someone else on MBN that setup something close to what you want to do. He made up a chain case and linked the back and front wheels with a chain to a central drive motor. I'm just not too sure where it was.

OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

The gearbox is a reduction drive to the drive sprockets. As you said these motors have a very low RPM you won't need the reduction drive. There was someone else on MBN that setup something close to what you want to do. He made up a chain case and linked the back and front wheels with a chain to a central drive motor. I'm just not too sure where it was.
Tazza, I think you are referring to "Steve C" he is making a small (dingo sized) skid steer using a 2 motors in between two axles and moving this motor vertically to tension both chains (on each side). At this stage if I can use only the two motors I would like to drive directly into the axles of the front wheels and then chain drive the rear wheels. With the rear wheel adjustment to tension the chain. Just need a little more information to confirm some details before I start. Thanks Gazza

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I think you are referring to "Steve C" he is making a small (dingo sized) skid steer using a 2 motors in between two axles and moving this motor vertically to tension both chains (on each side). At this stage if I can use only the two motors I would like to drive directly into the axles of the front wheels and then chain drive the rear wheels. With the rear wheel adjustment to tension the chain. Just need a little more information to confirm some details before I start. Thanks Gazza
That sounds like it.
Are you sure your not better off driving them both via chains? That way if you have a central motor you will have the same slack from front to back and the tyres would wear the same. I'm sure your way would work all the same, what ever way you feel is the easiest. I look forward to seeing it being constructed!