Used T650

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RMK

Hello everyone newbie here, I am contemplating buying a used t650 with 3000 hours and trading off or selling my 773G series. What are the key things to be aware of on these units with this amount of hours? I have read a lot on drive motors, tracks and dive sprockets. What else should I be looking for other that the usual stuff like pins and bushings, this unit has SJC controls and A-71 package. I will just be using mostly for personal use and the occasional side jobs, the 773 just doesn't have enough power for working on my new property with the clay soil.

Tazza

Staff member
Persoanlly i would avoid SJC, if something goes wrong, it will be costly, but that is just me. I like the simpler setup that i know i can fix if needed, SJC is a whole new ball game, it requires the dealer to program if new actuators are installed.
As for hours, i wouldn't be worried about a 3,000 hour machine, engines should do at least twice that. Being a tracked machine, i can see potential track and idler wear. If the motors have been serviced, they should exceed 6,000 hours too.

farmshop

Persoanlly i would avoid SJC, if something goes wrong, it will be costly, but that is just me. I like the simpler setup that i know i can fix if needed, SJC is a whole new ball game, it requires the dealer to program if new actuators are installed.
As for hours, i wouldn't be worried about a 3,000 hour machine, engines should do at least twice that. Being a tracked machine, i can see potential track and idler wear. If the motors have been serviced, they should exceed 6,000 hours too.
Biggest thing is how much life is left in the tracks and rollers. Are the sprockets cupped? Are the idlers round or are they getting knobby looking like sprockets indictating wear? Track machines are great but very expensive too maintain. At 3000 hours it could have original rollers yet and cost several thousand dollars to replace. Depending on how you use it you could have a couple bucks an hour just into track cost. We beat the crap out of our tracks and I figure it's closer to 4 or 5 dollars and hour just for tracks and undercarriage costs

OP
OP
R

RMK

Biggest thing is how much life is left in the tracks and rollers. Are the sprockets cupped? Are the idlers round or are they getting knobby looking like sprockets indictating wear? Track machines are great but very expensive too maintain. At 3000 hours it could have original rollers yet and cost several thousand dollars to replace. Depending on how you use it you could have a couple bucks an hour just into track cost. We beat the crap out of our tracks and I figure it's closer to 4 or 5 dollars and hour just for tracks and undercarriage costs
The tracks are about 80% I'm not sure about the drive sprocket or rollers as of yet I have only seen photos. I plan to go look at the machine in person this weekend, I am a maintenance freak on my machine so just looking for good pointers from those of you that have more experience with track machines and what to really look closely at. Tazza I agree with keeping it simple on the controls, but about 5 years ago I broke my ankle pretty bad so now after about 4 hours of using foot controls I need to down some Advil to keep going, so its the only reason I am considering SJC. Thanks for the input, I have used this forum to help with diagnosing small problems in the past with my 773, lots of good information on here.

reaperman

The tracks are about 80% I'm not sure about the drive sprocket or rollers as of yet I have only seen photos. I plan to go look at the machine in person this weekend, I am a maintenance freak on my machine so just looking for good pointers from those of you that have more experience with track machines and what to really look closely at. Tazza I agree with keeping it simple on the controls, but about 5 years ago I broke my ankle pretty bad so now after about 4 hours of using foot controls I need to down some Advil to keep going, so its the only reason I am considering SJC. Thanks for the input, I have used this forum to help with diagnosing small problems in the past with my 773, lots of good information on here.
On the topic of track wear, you can't look at the top of a track like a tread on a tire. Tracks wear out on the bottoms first. The center spacing's that the drive sprockets use to turn the tracks will begin to tear out. When one "spacing" starts to tare the track will soon be shot, usually only a couple of hours if your lucky. We have never had any issues with rollers, but we have replaced several sprockets. The rear sprockets can be taken off and rotated with the opposite side sprocket much like rotating tires on a car. That can aid in sprocket wear, I heard once every 500 hrs. A set of tracks is good for about 2000 hrs and sprockets are not too far behind. The very front idler is also subject to wear, its easy to replace but its surprising how much the metal is shaved off when comparing to a new idler. I've always said track machines can be justified if the machine is making you money. Which isn't normally the case for a homeowner. But they sure are nice when comparing them to a tire machine.

7LBSSMALLIE

On the topic of track wear, you can't look at the top of a track like a tread on a tire. Tracks wear out on the bottoms first. The center spacing's that the drive sprockets use to turn the tracks will begin to tear out. When one "spacing" starts to tare the track will soon be shot, usually only a couple of hours if your lucky. We have never had any issues with rollers, but we have replaced several sprockets. The rear sprockets can be taken off and rotated with the opposite side sprocket much like rotating tires on a car. That can aid in sprocket wear, I heard once every 500 hrs. A set of tracks is good for about 2000 hrs and sprockets are not too far behind. The very front idler is also subject to wear, its easy to replace but its surprising how much the metal is shaved off when comparing to a new idler. I've always said track machines can be justified if the machine is making you money. Which isn't normally the case for a homeowner. But they sure are nice when comparing them to a tire machine.
might be alittle off topic. but ive been thinkining about this a lot. a 773g WILL move . a lot of dirt, but not in severe weather, as in mud etc. I think what this boils down too in real world is A.ground conditions .B. operator comfort. the question being? is this my cockitpit 40 hrs a week. or once a month when I need to clear . the back forty. if its a buisness. .by all means upgrade. youre benifts will be all weather work (no more rain days) . so 365 income. operators might bitch aa little less.(on that note less likely to(ABUSE). they have a vested intrest in equip maint.

farmshop

might be alittle off topic. but ive been thinkining about this a lot. a 773g WILL move . a lot of dirt, but not in severe weather, as in mud etc. I think what this boils down too in real world is A.ground conditions .B. operator comfort. the question being? is this my cockitpit 40 hrs a week. or once a month when I need to clear . the back forty. if its a buisness. .by all means upgrade. youre benifts will be all weather work (no more rain days) . so 365 income. operators might bitch aa little less.(on that note less likely to(ABUSE). they have a vested intrest in equip maint.
All very good points. Our track loader serves a specific purpose. If tracks are not needed all the time I would use over tire tracks although they are not as good as a track loader they are a good compromise

OP
OP
R

RMK

All very good points. Our track loader serves a specific purpose. If tracks are not needed all the time I would use over tire tracks although they are not as good as a track loader they are a good compromise
Thanks to all of you for the good advice/tips, the machine that I was looking at was sold a day before I went to look. But I found another one to look at this weekend and it has 1000 hours less on the clock and no SJC (standard controls). I will defiantly be looking at the under side of the tracks but from the photos I might have about 500 hours left on the tracks.

732_Guy

Tazza does Bobcat have any pilot control CTL that is "not" troublesome or expensive to fix? I have bad knees. Leaning towards pilot controlled Japanese brands. Would consider a Bobcat because they are so cheap and common in the southeastern U.S. Really trying hard to here to like Bobcat. They are not as reliable as Japanese brands and it just seems they were less competent in R&D during the 1990s while Takeuchi and the others perfected their pilot controls, track systems, and structural integrity. I would spend in mid $20's. Is there anything competitive with a 2010 Takeuchi TL140? Looking for a larger track machine say 5 tons.

Last edited:

foton

you might want to look at the wacker neuson tracked machines , granted I have a sw-20 which is wheeled but the pilot controls are real nice. I see you are in the SE there is a dealer in chattsworth ga. reed and reed sales

Phil314

Just my opinion, I've got an 2013 S650 with the SJC control and I really like them. Haven't had any issues with them so far. You can set the speed control and change the sensitivity with the SJC. I use those features occasionally, so they are nice. My old 1845c with direct hand controls could turn into a skid steer rodeo very quickly if you weren't smooth on the controls. The S650 is always smooth no matter how jerky I am.

There were problems with the round base controls back in 2008-2010 or so. Stay way from those. I haven't heard of many problems with the newer style SJC controls. The bigger thing to be concerned with is the emissions on newer machine, those are problematic and expensive. I bought the 2013 because it was the last year before emission.

foton

yes that is a concern mine is under 75 hp so I do not have the def headaches. just as a fyi I have the 3 cylinder kohler and it has been so far flawless.