Use of Park Brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Luthor

Just wondering if any of you trust your park brake enough to allow you to get out of your machine with the engine running. I know there are warnings about stopping the engine before getting out in the owners manual and on the machine itself, but I must admit I have been tempted to just lock the brake and jump out to do something therefore not having to restart. What is the general consensus out there?

Tazza

Staff member
Well, i do jump out with the engine running all the time, just kick the brake on and hop out.
I have never had any problems or close calls with it, the only thing is when you jump back in, you really have to try not to knock a steering levers, as the machine will jerk (done this before), but it will not move. It just scares you a bit. Make sure your park brake doesn't need any adjustment though, i had a machine you could kick the brake on and it would still roll down the hill before i adjusted the brake.
With the brake on, you should NOT be able to move the machine with the hydrostatics. Just never put the brake on then throw the levers forward really hard, all you will do is cause damage. Come to a complete stop, kick the brake on and slowly push the levers forward, the machine shouldn't budge, if it does, adjust it.
On the newer machines with BICS, doesn't the brake automatically come on if you get up off the seat anyway?

Tazza

Staff member
Well, i do jump out with the engine running all the time, just kick the brake on and hop out.
I have never had any problems or close calls with it, the only thing is when you jump back in, you really have to try not to knock a steering levers, as the machine will jerk (done this before), but it will not move. It just scares you a bit. Make sure your park brake doesn't need any adjustment though, i had a machine you could kick the brake on and it would still roll down the hill before i adjusted the brake.
With the brake on, you should NOT be able to move the machine with the hydrostatics. Just never put the brake on then throw the levers forward really hard, all you will do is cause damage. Come to a complete stop, kick the brake on and slowly push the levers forward, the machine shouldn't budge, if it does, adjust it.
On the newer machines with BICS, doesn't the brake automatically come on if you get up off the seat anyway?
Just one other thing, make sure your seat bar is adjusted correctly too. You need it to still lock out your peddles, its very easy to accidently step on one when climbing in, especially in the wet (done that before.......)

goodtech

Just one other thing, make sure your seat bar is adjusted correctly too. You need it to still lock out your peddles, its very easy to accidently step on one when climbing in, especially in the wet (done that before.......)
The park brake on these units are very good, I trust them well, but like tazz said MAKE SURE that your seat bar is in good condition and your seatbar locks for your pedals work very well, otherwise it can be deadly.