Use of a winch to safely go down a steep incline to a level work area?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gmc49

We have a level wooded property that needs some clearing. The problem is that the only access to the property requires traveling 25 or 30 feet down an approximate 45 degree incline. Our "idea" is to use an appropriately sized winch anchored to a large tree to allow a skid steer to navigate the hill safely - both down as well as back up when the job is finished. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

KarlB

I've never done this, but it is what snowcat groomers do on the steep slopes. One at the top is the anchor and it winches the operating one up and down the double black diamond slope. In theory it should be fine, provided your anchor point (you mentioned tree) is solid enough, your winch is strong enough and your cable has adequate strength. It's on you to ensure those. Safety bar down, seatbelt on. make sure way down/up is smooth. No bystanders nearby. As when operating on any slope, remember which end is the heavy end. I'd keep the engine uphill and the empty bucket just clearing the ground. That's assuming an empty bucket. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Tazza

Staff member
I've never done this, but it is what snowcat groomers do on the steep slopes. One at the top is the anchor and it winches the operating one up and down the double black diamond slope. In theory it should be fine, provided your anchor point (you mentioned tree) is solid enough, your winch is strong enough and your cable has adequate strength. It's on you to ensure those. Safety bar down, seatbelt on. make sure way down/up is smooth. No bystanders nearby. As when operating on any slope, remember which end is the heavy end. I'd keep the engine uphill and the empty bucket just clearing the ground. That's assuming an empty bucket. I wouldn't recommend it though.
I have gone up and down some pretty nasty slopes, as long as you keep the heaviest part up hill, so drive down, back up.
With that said, i know i'd not be having fun doing so, as mentioned, a solid tree or multiples as a backup.

Latest posts