Update on 722 Issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Atilathehun99

In the previous episode my 722 had become dead in the water due to no hydraulics. At that time is had been exceedingly cold and I pretty much walked away from it for a while. Now it's a bit warmer and I have drained and replaced the hydraulic fluid with generic 10W 30. After re-priming the pump the hydraulics came back to life. Given what I've learned through this protracted problem I'm confident that my problem is just severe loss of fluid through 2 (the fronts) wheel seals. I've known that these have leaked for a long time but the leakage is now huge, to the point where the machine can't be operated without repairing them. I now have the repair manual and parts manual for the machine. I don't have the shop or expertise myself to do them. I do however have a brother who most likely does. He's never worked on skid steers to my knowledge but he's been a tractor and farm implement mechanic and restorer throughout his life. I think I may be able to talk him into helping me with this. My question/plan is this. I plan on only replacing the fronts as they're the ones that are leaking. I see that to do the backs who have to pull the engine. What are your thoughts on this approach? As I may have stated before I just use this machine occasionally for around the homestead tasks.

antfarmer2

I would lift it up and see if there is any play when you pull in and out up and down on the wheel if so replace all bearings and seals if not I would just do the fronts you can get the seals bearings and races for less than fifty bucks a axle from loadersourceparts if your doing the seal replace bearings and races to will have to get the ware sleaves form bobcat twenty bucks apiece

OP
OP
A

Atilathehun99

I would lift it up and see if there is any play when you pull in and out up and down on the wheel if so replace all bearings and seals if not I would just do the fronts you can get the seals bearings and races for less than fifty bucks a axle from loadersourceparts if your doing the seal replace bearings and races to will have to get the ware sleaves form bobcat twenty bucks apiece
I've had the front up and to my ability haven't detected any horizontal or vertical play. I suppose when I'm in there it wouldn't be that much more effort to replace the front bearings/races along with the seals. But right now I'm not convinced I need to do the backs as they're fine and this machine probably only sees 50 to 100 hours/year. Couple that with from what I've read it seems like it's an extra PITA to also do the backs (engine pull).

antfarmer2

I've had the front up and to my ability haven't detected any horizontal or vertical play. I suppose when I'm in there it wouldn't be that much more effort to replace the front bearings/races along with the seals. But right now I'm not convinced I need to do the backs as they're fine and this machine probably only sees 50 to 100 hours/year. Couple that with from what I've read it seems like it's an extra PITA to also do the backs (engine pull).
No play no leaks your toy I agree a bit less than 70 bucks a axle the bearings are comming out I would have a hard to putting used in and with you on just doing the front in your case

antfarmer2

No play no leaks your toy I agree a bit less than 70 bucks a axle the bearings are comming out I would have a hard to putting used in and with you on just doing the front in your case
Make sure you get new wear sleaves if yours has them

OP
OP
A

Atilathehun99

Make sure you get new wear sleaves if yours has them
Just checked my 722 parts manual and I don't see anything listed as a wear sleeve. Must be the 722 doesn't have them? BTW, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your (and others, TAZZA and OLDMACHINIST specifically) opinions, suggestions, and help.

antfarmer2

Just checked my 722 parts manual and I don't see anything listed as a wear sleeve. Must be the 722 doesn't have them? BTW, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your (and others, TAZZA and OLDMACHINIST specifically) opinions, suggestions, and help.
Yes they are the best im still new and learning