Type of grease and track removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scotty dog

Hi There,
Bought a set of snow and ice tracks to help with my snowblower and changing tracks today. First time for me I have it prepped off ground with grease out looks like a chore any hints on how to get track off would be appreciated but my main question is it ok to put a all purpose grease back in or should it a special wheel and bearing grease.
Thanks

reaperman

Are you talking about the grease that goes into the cylinder that tightens the track? If so, any general purpose grease would work. As for getting the track off I've used something 3-4" In diameter like a pipe or chunk of wood and jamming it in the front roller. Start the machine and walk the track forward and let the pipe walk itself over the front roller and pry the track off of the front roller at the same time. Its a two man job, eventually the track will run off the roller where you can slide it sideways and remove from the rear sprocket. Its a wrestling match and can be frustrating. Sometimes it goes easy other times you invent a few new words.

OP
OP
S

scotty dog

Thanks Guys,
Got it done bring in the snow so I can see if getting snow tracks was worth it. I hope so!