Two batteries on a 743B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Beanforge

I'm looking at a 743B in my area. The guy bought it to flip - fresh paint, stickers, filters, etc. Pins are good, starts well, doesn't creep, everything works. The guy added a second battery in parallel and new battery cables. My only problem with this is that I can't figure out why a guy that was flipping a skidsteer would go to the trouble to add a second battery. He said it's a thing with him "he likes things to start". That's fine, but he's not keeping it. Is it covering another problem that I'm not thinking of? I can't see where two batteries would do what one good battery would do. Am I overthinking this?

foton

I bought it. So far, so good.
May be some of the glow plugs did not work and he needed the extra amps to get it started at one time? We had a group 24 in ours and when it puked we put in a group 31 so much extra cranking power. Will never go back to a smaller battery. Now that I think about it two group 24 make output like one group 31 about. The 1702 kubota is a real good engine but they do like to be heated when cold so check and maintain the glow plugs for easy starting.

Tazza

Staff member
May be some of the glow plugs did not work and he needed the extra amps to get it started at one time? We had a group 24 in ours and when it puked we put in a group 31 so much extra cranking power. Will never go back to a smaller battery. Now that I think about it two group 24 make output like one group 31 about. The 1702 kubota is a real good engine but they do like to be heated when cold so check and maintain the glow plugs for easy starting.
I wonder if he gets batteries cheap, two cheaper ones may be cheaper than the N70 that this machine is supposed to have.
I see no other reason to add a second battery, even a smaller one will start this machine easily, not much power drain when running with very little electrical stuff on that model.

Latest posts