Turn off or idle?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

curious what others do as far as when you get off the machine to do something for X minutes .... where's the breakover point where you let it idle unless it's going to be over how much time?
I know truckers will run their engine all night
eg engine wear on repeated starting vs longer idling

mocus250

My understanding that with late model diesels with DEF systems, idling will plug the diesel exhaust filters prematurely.
Also, there is less complete combustion on any diesel at idle and can lead to excessive carbon buildup and wear on the engine.. Here is an article on the subject.

Some older diesel motors used to be hard to start cold but typically thats not the case now.
That being said, last time I bought a starter for my S-250 it was $450 bucks. Probably more these days.

hoardac

My new tractor I shut it off most of the time. My old skidsteer I let it idle. It never liked starting up. Has a weird thing where it takes 15 to 30 seconds to get to full voltage and evens out not sure why but it always does it. Sometimes the belt squeals sometimes not.

wings5j

mine is a gasser and typically if I am doing something else for more than five minutes I shut it off. The added benefit for me is the peace and quiet while doing whatever the task is.

John

schreib69

mine is a gasser and typically if I am doing something else for more than five minutes I shut it off. The added benefit for me is the peace and quiet while doing whatever the task is.

John
I do the same but have a 4 cyl Perkins diesel in my ASV SR80. It starts really fast and never have any problems. Never have really understood truckers and other diesel users letting it idle long time. . . Some people park and lock their diesel pickups outside home stores / Walmart and let it idle while in the store-- asinine or they want to look cool?

Latest posts