trying to figure out if this antifreeze is ok for aluminum

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

justgettinby

a long time ago, maybe 40 years, a fellow gave me some anti freeze for a irrigation motor, he told me not to use it on aluminum engine. so in 2012 i bought a barrel to use in my 1977 rd mack the from a oil company that would soon change hands,the barrel is dated 2012, the new guys there cant really answer my question about if its good for aluminum or not. the barrel is yellow and it says ethylene glycol base, embittered, formula N217 F.O concentrate, production code C3172480EMB. can i pick somebodys brain about this so i will know if i can use it in my newer backhoe and skid steer. thank you

cdmccul

According to:
it should be fine.

It is a modern (2012) blend of green antifreeze.

cdmccul

It is CONCENTRATED though, and needs to me mixed down with pure water to a 50/50 dilution. You can mix it up to 70% coolant to 30% water, but any stronger of a blend and you begin to reduce the cooling effectiveness of the mix.

Hotrod1830

Just remember to use distilled water, and not tap water. If you have ever seen the inside of a hot water heater, you will understand why you dont want tap water. Distilled water is mostly free of the heavy deposits that can damage/clog radiators.
One other thing to mention is some diesel engines require a nitrite additive to prevent cavitation and cylinder liner damage. You can add the nitrite additive to standard green coolant. Just be aware that if your engine needs it, use it. Wix sells a bottle of the additive if you need it. May take some work getting the parts guy to find it though. Best bet is, if you need it, look up the part number and give it to the parts guy.

gearbox

You need to find out if it is Silica free. If it has Silica it will eat up the aluminum . Silica is added to scrub cast iron rust