Tring to get foot in the door. (Step one)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

STEVE_NE

I have been looking at used skid steers for the past 5 months. Looked at the very old ones at first and new ones as I started thinking of what I wanted to do with it. Me and my wife would like to do something that would earn some extra cash. I have a 5 yard dump truck and live in a rural area. New houses are poping up all around. My brother in law has two 12-15 yard dump trucks and a good size bobcat. He keeps both pertty busy running back fill for construction and tree shears for taking out trees in the pastrues (cedars grow like weeds around here) Would like to sub contract some of the smaller jobs and team up with some of the really large jobs. Don't really want to just go to work for him would rather earn more money and have a bobcat of my own and most of all don't want to compete againts him. Sence I'm pertty much new to all of this, My question is does this sound like it would be a good deal for him and for me. Any other markets that people are doing. breakers,demolition,farm work????...landscape is out, good friend down the road does that would also like to do some work for him.

Tigerotor77W

Give it a shot! There isn't any harm to it. A lot of people here are probably in the midst of a bunch of snow removal work, so I'll speak generally. Most people here, I believe, are in the general excavating business -- not really landscapers, per se, but not serious earthmovers with huge fleets. As a result, you can infer that they started out in much the same way as you -- one machine and lots of campaigning. Good luck at it!

StuZ

I guess I would ask your brother and your friend if they would have much work for you. Are there any rental yards around ?? Pick an attachment that neither of them have, and start looking for that kind of work.