Tracks vs tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bert1966

My question is are the tracks that go around the tires of any value?
I really would like a track machine, but I'm also finding pretty good deals on tire machines and was wondering if it would be worth the effort to purchase tracks to put on the tires. Or spend the extra money on a true track machine

mrbb

adding tracks to a tire skid steer IMO< is great when working in soft or muddy terrain, even on hills

but there harder on tracks when on hard ground, cement or pavement, all the more so when using steel tracks
and they do add more stress to drive train and parts, HOW Much, , IMO< comes down to the user and how abusive they run the machine or not!

so are they worth the costs??
I gather that really comes down to what YOU will be using the machine for more often! , to justify them or not, and that's not really something I can answer or anyone else !

they do work and are nice in certain conditions, but there also NOT needed in a lot of condition!

Fabricator

I'd echo MRBB's comments. For me it would come down to a question of how much you're looking to use the tracks.

If it's once in awhile for really sloppy conditions, the over-tire tracks could be an option. It's still a certain amount of trouble to get them on and off, though.

If you really want the advantages of tracks all the time - or a significant amount of the time, I'd say the over-tire tracks are not going to be a replacement for a tracked machine.

cjcocn

I bought my Bobcat (used) with the grouser steel tracks and they've saved me from getting stuck countless times already.

Right now I'm doing some clearing in muskeg and have absolutely no problems with traction when digging up stumps and peat moss and hauling them to a clearing that requires that I stay on top of the muskeg.

They can be a chore to install, but a shortened ratchet strap and a couple of pry bars make it go a lot easier.

I believe that my axles are extended to accommodate the steel tracks, so if you go that route it would be an extra cost that should be considered.

I'm glad that I have the steel tracks and most of my work can be done with the tires only, but when working in muskeg or clay the steel tracks allow me to keep at it without concern.

brdgbldr

I had Grouser steel tracks on my 742B and without them I'm sure I would have gotten stuck in the backwoods. Tracks help to spread out the weight of the machine.

Keep in mind that Grouser tracks are 800-1000 lbs a piece. I would only use them for soft ground. Very hard on the machine and operator on hard surfaces. I used them on snow but I think that chains work just as well.

Actual tracked machines sometimes have problems in the snow. I know a guy that had a tracked machine for snow removal at his place and he road it like a sled down his driveway the first time he used it. Took out an expensive fence and ended up trading the machine in for a wheeled machine and tire chains.

I had to reverse the wheels on my machine to make room for The tracks. So keep in mind the wheel offset that you would need for the tracks you chose. This will also make the machine wider.

Keep in mind that there are other types of over the tire tracks out there Including rubber. I've even seen where people have made them out of heavy duty tire chains by just linking them together.

mrbb

when folsk bring up SNOW/ICE, the same down force low pressure contact tracks give work against you in snow, as your not getting much down force,
BUT they make things to improve traction on tracks and tracked machines
starting with the type of track, there NOT all the same, some work pretty well in snow./ice, but don;t last long on dirt pavement, think snow tires, only run them in winter time, due to there softer rubber and wear faster in warmer weather and condition' next is the LUG design, again NOWT all the same
(same for tires )
big hard lugs, work poorly on compacted snow or ice!
snow tires are NOT big lugs, there lots of small ones with a lot of edges and snips to grip and grab and made of softer rubber to stay flexible inn the cold
what is good for cold and snow typically is NOT good for hot and abrasive conditions

BUT then instead of CHAINS for track's, there are screw in studs, and they can add HUGE amounts of safety and traction
but just like chains, they can tear up a drive way or road way
PROS and con's
in an ideal world you would have BOTH a set of things, be it tracks or tires for SNOW and one's for summer use

you have to either have deeper pockets or pick what works best for what you MOST with the machine and LIVE with the CONS when doing other things and KNOW your limit of both!

stupadazole

You got to decide how your gone to use the machine. Steel tracks really slow down the work because they really tear up the ground when you turn and turning with them is hard on the chain case. If time is not a problem and your always on dirt/grass the extra traction is night and day.
Learned this trick when putting them on: Lower the tire pressure first, not flat. Put the tracks on and reinflate the tires. Voila! Tracks are tight. Watch a you tube video on putting on OT tracks. Not as hard as you think.
There's an old discussion about pros and cons on the forum from eleven years ago

winfred

they stink for ride quality on pavement and at least mine which have smooth pads, traction on pavement, but this also makes for easy turning on pavement and not grinding down the tires, they add a good bit of weight down low and traction for helping a smaller machine punch above its class for lifting, pushing and digging, the tires can spin in the tracks when wet but otherwise clean so some maneuvers can be annoying

rock

We have McLaren over tires steel tracks and we love them. There are dozens of jobs we could have not done without them. It wasn't easy to put them on the first time because they needed some initial adjustment to fit the wheel base of the loader, but after that it got much easier. Now it takes about 20 min to put them on and about 5 min to take them off. Again, I think the tracks are a great addition if you sometimes work in slippery conditions. Just my 50 cents...