Torsion axle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mike73

I have an ASV 4520 HD. Has anyone ever had a torsion axle arm break, and if so what did you do to fix the issue without replacing the whole axle. Would welding it hold , $2000-2500 for a new one. Found a used one for 1700 but i have to remove it. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Personally, i'd try and weld it first, if it broke again, then go the new or used one.
Make sure to gouge the break out first to ensure you get full penetration on your welds. Multiple passes and grind in between to snsure there are no voids.

flyerdan

Personally, i'd try and weld it first, if it broke again, then go the new or used one.
Make sure to gouge the break out first to ensure you get full penetration on your welds. Multiple passes and grind in between to snsure there are no voids.
I think that you'd encounter the same problem as welding a leaf spring, it's treated to deflect and return and welding created a heat treated hard zone which won't flex. It will break adjacent to the weld.
If the break is somewhere outside the flex zone it should be okay, like at where the spindle attaches.
Agree with Tazza though, you've got nothing to lose by welding it up, even if it's just to baby it along until a replacement is sourced.

OP
OP
M

Mike73

well i removed the broke axle and had it pressed out of housing about 3 inches. washed out broken piece in spindle and welded it up, now only time will tell if it holds. I will only use this around my property..