to many options

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

unknown

I am currently in the process of trying to decide which skid steer to buy. I have run one for a short period of time just loading trucks. I have so many questions, and hopefully there are some people on here that have some usefull information. I am after a skid steer that will be used for multi purpose work. I intend on using it for construction purposes, so it will have to be able to load a dump truck. I am also planing on buying a mulching head, and stump grinder attachment for it, so will need to have enough flow, and horsepower to run attachments. I am not sure wether I should go for tyres, or tracks. I know that tracks will give me a more stable platform for loading, but I am worried about them when clearing brush. I like the look of the usuals, caterpillar, and bobact for there range of models, and there ease of attachment applications. I am hearing alot of good things about case, and have noticed that mustang seem to make some pretty heavy lifting tough machines. There is just so many brands out there that I don't know at this point. The machine that I used was a cat, I don't remember the model, but it worked well for what I was doing with it. I am open to brand changing, and probally will have to try all the different brands out, I just thought that some people out there could give me some of their advice, and experiences both good and bad. Thanks for any information that you can give me. The clueless skid steer buyer

gtstang462002

From what I have seen there are mulching machines and then there are machines that do everything else. I have not run a high flow bobcat with the mulching head on it yet, so I really can not speak of it. The ASV PT-100 forestry model was built just for that purpose and seems to do it well. The track system doesn't seem to hold up well in rough muddy terrain though. My T300 has lifted everything that I ask it to with good stability, and I got a killer deal on the machine. I would recommend buying the machine(if you can afford it) that is going to handle the heaviest job that you are going to throw at it. The bottom line though is there is no perfect machine that will do everything perfectly. Most machines do most things well and accel in one or two areas.

Fishfiles

From what I have seen there are mulching machines and then there are machines that do everything else. I have not run a high flow bobcat with the mulching head on it yet, so I really can not speak of it. The ASV PT-100 forestry model was built just for that purpose and seems to do it well. The track system doesn't seem to hold up well in rough muddy terrain though. My T300 has lifted everything that I ask it to with good stability, and I got a killer deal on the machine. I would recommend buying the machine(if you can afford it) that is going to handle the heaviest job that you are going to throw at it. The bottom line though is there is no perfect machine that will do everything perfectly. Most machines do most things well and accel in one or two areas.
I'd say a T250 ,T300 with high flow , the Mustang you mentioned , if you were thinking tracked is really a Takeuchi , which is a very good machine but at last check doesn't come high flow , which you will need for a mulcher , i'd go tracks over tires any day , unless you plan on running tracks over the tires

jklingel

I'd say a T250 ,T300 with high flow , the Mustang you mentioned , if you were thinking tracked is really a Takeuchi , which is a very good machine but at last check doesn't come high flow , which you will need for a mulcher , i'd go tracks over tires any day , unless you plan on running tracks over the tires
Re: "tracks over tires any day." I don't have tracks and have not driven them, but I am not convinced that I would prefer them. I talked w/ a guy w/ a tracked Bobcat (who does hard pack in one of the areas I do) and he says he has to be real careful on hills or he gets into some exciting sideways slides. Going over a bank sideways is not my idea of a great time. I rented a big cat last year (a bit too late) and found the same thing; icy hillsides and tracks don't mix well. Too, I find myself running around from place to place once in an area doing hardpack, and I don't know if tracks would be the best thing for job-hoping on gravel roads, and sometimes pavement. Just something to think about.

Latest posts