tires to tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

s220turbo

has anybody seen that video about loegering tracks. looks like a nice setup,but do you think the bobcat drive system would stand up to long and hard work, just thinking of buying a set. I am wanting some opinions

Tigerotor77W

Are you referring to the VTS or just plain-old over the tire tracks by Loegering? I think the machines could stand up to the abuse... is there a reason you think the Bobcat chaincase wouldn't stand up?

OP
OP
S

s220turbo

Are you referring to the VTS or just plain-old over the tire tracks by Loegering? I think the machines could stand up to the abuse... is there a reason you think the Bobcat chaincase wouldn't stand up?
i think that the bobcat is tough enough. the reason i asked is that , and i know this may sound funny but my salesman says he was kind of skeptical about the integrety of the bobcat chaincase and bearings with the vts system. i thought it would be fine but i thought i should run it by you guys.

Swanman

i think that the bobcat is tough enough. the reason i asked is that , and i know this may sound funny but my salesman says he was kind of skeptical about the integrety of the bobcat chaincase and bearings with the vts system. i thought it would be fine but i thought i should run it by you guys.
Could someone please explain to me why a person would pay some 15 large for this setup? For 2000 something you can have metal tracks, 25 minutes or so to change em out and probably close to the same performance of rubber tracks. A new S-300 with metal tracks would be close in price to a new S-185 with this VTS system. And as far as ripping up yards, they all do except perhaps AWS. Just a thought Tim

Bob Horrell

Could someone please explain to me why a person would pay some 15 large for this setup? For 2000 something you can have metal tracks, 25 minutes or so to change em out and probably close to the same performance of rubber tracks. A new S-300 with metal tracks would be close in price to a new S-185 with this VTS system. And as far as ripping up yards, they all do except perhaps AWS. Just a thought Tim
I have had the Loegering VTS tracks on my S250 for about 3 weeks now and love them. I used Grouser over the tire tracks before the VTS. In my opinion the VTS system is far superior to the over the tire tracks in several ways - much better traction, much better stability, suspension, non marking when crossing asphalt or concrete. True, they are expensive but a better alternative for someone like me that needs both tracks and wheels for different jobs and can't afford two separate machines. I talked to my Bobcat dealer when I was doing pre purchase homework prior to getting them and got a very cold response including the fact that it would void warranty. Loegering had an 863 test machine that put 2,000+ hours on a set with no problems. They did sell a set to a bobcat owner that broke a rear drive chain. There was no telling what condition the bobcat was in before the install and if there was any abuse that could have caused some prior damage to the chain. Bobcat's competitors with large machines use a 120 chain while bobcat only uses a 100. The big difference is that the bobcat is belt driven while the competitors are chain driven. The belt drive to the chaincase does eliminate a lot of shock to the chain and it is usually shock that damages chains. I have considered replacing the rear drive chains with 120 chain, but thought I would wait to see if I hear of any more problems. Although I work my equipment hard, I don't abuse it and am conscious of what can be hard on a track system. Before buying the VTS system, I contemplated buying a dedicated track machine and demoed ASV, CAT, and Bobcat machines. I fell in love with the CAT pilot controls but found the hydraulics lacking in power compared to the Bobcat by a significant amount. I liked the CAT better than the ASV although they are very similar machines with the same undercarriage. The S250 with the VTS system is very similar to the T300 with the following exceptions: the VTS suspension works very well and is superior in most situations; I can use the 2 speed with the VTS and therefore make some jobs go much faster; the VTS system is a very "open" design and is a lot easier to keep clean than any of the other track systems. Cleaning the track system after muddy use definitely enhances the life of the system. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about this system. It has been a real money maker for me here in California with all the heavy rains we are getting. I am working in places where most other equipment can't.

salsllc

Don't forget that there are some machines that don't offer tracks that people want with tracks. Example is the Gehl 7810....I am thinking about picking one up and a set of vts for it...would make a beastly machine.

Tigerotor77W

Don't forget that there are some machines that don't offer tracks that people want with tracks. Example is the Gehl 7810....I am thinking about picking one up and a set of vts for it...would make a beastly machine.
Bob, how is the S250 holding up for you? How many hours have you put on the S250?

Bob Horrell

I meant how many hours on the VTS... oops.
The tracks are working great. I probably have 400 - 500hrs on them now with absolutely no problems. There is the normal small nicks etc. in the tread, but I would say they are wearing very well. I keep checking my track tension and have yet to make an adjustment. I am thinking that this confirms my theory that the really large drive sprocket catches enough of the drive holes in the track to spread out the force and eliminate much of the stretching. I love having the 2 speed with the tracks. It really cuts down on time spent on certain jobs. On a side note, have you seen the new ASV SR80. Looks like a pretty slick machine. I am pretty interested, only because the foot pedals in the Bobcat drive my knees nuts. I have to get out every couple of hours and walk around because they bother me so much. Too many years racing motocross with the associated injuries catches up with you in later years. I can run and ride a bicycle OK but my knees just can't stand the constant bent position while working the pedals. When I have used skidsteers with pilot controls, I don't have the problem.

Tigerotor77W

The tracks are working great. I probably have 400 - 500hrs on them now with absolutely no problems. There is the normal small nicks etc. in the tread, but I would say they are wearing very well. I keep checking my track tension and have yet to make an adjustment. I am thinking that this confirms my theory that the really large drive sprocket catches enough of the drive holes in the track to spread out the force and eliminate much of the stretching. I love having the 2 speed with the tracks. It really cuts down on time spent on certain jobs. On a side note, have you seen the new ASV SR80. Looks like a pretty slick machine. I am pretty interested, only because the foot pedals in the Bobcat drive my knees nuts. I have to get out every couple of hours and walk around because they bother me so much. Too many years racing motocross with the associated injuries catches up with you in later years. I can run and ride a bicycle OK but my knees just can't stand the constant bent position while working the pedals. When I have used skidsteers with pilot controls, I don't have the problem.
Hey -- sorry for the late reply. Good to hear they are wearing well for you. Does the S250 seem to be any worse?

As far as the SR80 goes -- I know you had posted this in another forum, but I wanted to comment here as well. Bobcat markets the Selectable Joystick Control -- SJC -- which is the Bobcat answer to the Cat (ISO) pilot controls. (Note that SJC are electrohydraulic.) The SR80, however, has a suspended undercarriage... which, without a doubt, is really nice. ASV also claims that it offers better O&O costs than the current generation, which should make them a bit more acceptable to hardcore users.

Rubbertrax2

If anyone is interested, we now carry aftermarket VTS replacement tracks. We would love to save everyone some money. Please call Gaberdeen, Inc. at (678)750-0227.Thanks.

jklingel

If anyone is interested, we now carry aftermarket VTS replacement tracks. We would love to save everyone some money. Please call Gaberdeen, Inc. at (678)750-0227.Thanks.
I looked at those VTS tracks. Wow. Quite the setup, but I am sure they are nearly the cost of a good, used track machine; there is a lot of equipment there. One concern I have w/ them, and would appreciate anyone else's opinions/experiences. Having read here about how over-tire tracks can really stress drive chains/gears, I asked my JD dealer about them today. "We do not sell tracks. Too many warranty issues." He also GUESSED that the VTS-type tracks would cause the same strains and recommended getting a track rig if you need one much. Personally, I don't see that, but I have no idea if the "guts" of the drive line of a factory-tracked rig are different from those of a factory-tired rig. Experiences? Thanks. j

perry

I looked at those VTS tracks. Wow. Quite the setup, but I am sure they are nearly the cost of a good, used track machine; there is a lot of equipment there. One concern I have w/ them, and would appreciate anyone else's opinions/experiences. Having read here about how over-tire tracks can really stress drive chains/gears, I asked my JD dealer about them today. "We do not sell tracks. Too many warranty issues." He also GUESSED that the VTS-type tracks would cause the same strains and recommended getting a track rig if you need one much. Personally, I don't see that, but I have no idea if the "guts" of the drive line of a factory-tracked rig are different from those of a factory-tired rig. Experiences? Thanks. j
I'm with swanman, lot's of tires and steel tracks can be bought for 15K. Were talking about skid steers here, you can almost replace the tracks on a 953 cat for 15K. It just doesn't compute.....

jklingel

I'm with swanman, lot's of tires and steel tracks can be bought for 15K. Were talking about skid steers here, you can almost replace the tracks on a 953 cat for 15K. It just doesn't compute.....
I gather those VTS systems are $15K. Not surprising. Perry, I guess some of the concerns here are not just the tires and tracks, but the damage to drive chains and gears that could get expensive. There just is not an easy answer, but $15K really is half of a good used track rig.... maybe.... Oh, sigh.....