tilt cylinder cost

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bahmi

I looked at a Bobcat 630 recently. The owner said he put in a new tilt cylinder and said it cost him 1700 bucks. Is this possible for such a small cylinder? He put in the cylinder himself, too. I"m having a hard time with this as I think he grossly overstated what he put into the machine. Mike

Fishfiles

I have never priced a 630 tilt cylinder before but have on many different models , and on machies of that size they normally run between $800-$1,200 , but on older or limited production odd ball machines I have found where it can cost a lot more , I was told by dealer that on older machines it becomes an availabillity issue , when the parts become limited the price goes up , so I would say it is possible to cost that much ----------call a dealer and get a current price

Tazza

Staff member
I have never priced a 630 tilt cylinder before but have on many different models , and on machies of that size they normally run between $800-$1,200 , but on older or limited production odd ball machines I have found where it can cost a lot more , I was told by dealer that on older machines it becomes an availabillity issue , when the parts become limited the price goes up , so I would say it is possible to cost that much ----------call a dealer and get a current price
I can see it being that much, as stated they are old, around 30 years now. Naturally prices will go up when the supply drops. Most of the time cylinders can be repaired instead of simply replacing them, i have done it myself for 50 odd bucks. Seals about $25, and about the same for new chrome rod.

WebbCo

I can see it being that much, as stated they are old, around 30 years now. Naturally prices will go up when the supply drops. Most of the time cylinders can be repaired instead of simply replacing them, i have done it myself for 50 odd bucks. Seals about $25, and about the same for new chrome rod.
Sorry but I am able to confirm that price...there are few of these left , and who ever Bobcat is having build them sure is raping bobcat, thus the continued rape to the end user.
I often have these kinds of cylinders re made, there are a couple good machine shops that can build them, sometimes though they are almost the same price as the oem, I also noticed that there where several choices depending on if it where cessna or bobcat and by ser number breaks. All where 1500.00 to 1750.00 each.
Mark

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry but I am able to confirm that price...there are few of these left , and who ever Bobcat is having build them sure is raping bobcat, thus the continued rape to the end user.
I often have these kinds of cylinders re made, there are a couple good machine shops that can build them, sometimes though they are almost the same price as the oem, I also noticed that there where several choices depending on if it where cessna or bobcat and by ser number breaks. All where 1500.00 to 1750.00 each.
Mark
Unfortunatly thats how it is, they have to pass on the extra cost to the end user. The good thing is you know the cylinder is rite and should last another 30 years!

Centurion

Unfortunatly thats how it is, they have to pass on the extra cost to the end user. The good thing is you know the cylinder is rite and should last another 30 years!
A new cylinder for a 1988 743 was quoted at $1200US from the dealer here in virginia.

perry

A new cylinder for a 1988 743 was quoted at $1200US from the dealer here in virginia.
I don't know the measurements on tilt cylinders but, Baileys will make custom cylinders or, they may have a correct size in stock?. Will someone check or send me the measurements and I'll check.

perry

I don't know the measurements on tilt cylinders but, Baileys will make custom cylinders or, they may have a correct size in stock?. Will someone check or send me the measurements and I'll check.
Oh!, it's raining here.

Iowa Dave

Mark
If the cyl just was leaking, a hyd shop can usually rebuild for less than $150. If ram was bad but cyl case and piston is good, maybe up to $300. There is almost always a way around ridiculously-priced parts. I have even seen the cyl bracket on the machine professionally modified to accept a close replacement when an exact was not available at a reasonable cost. There are also skid junkyards around. But to answer your original question, I guess others say that mega-bucks are possible. Usually, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Hard for me to believe that other options aren't available if one takes the effort to research other ways to go about it.

sterlclan

If the cyl just was leaking, a hyd shop can usually rebuild for less than $150. If ram was bad but cyl case and piston is good, maybe up to $300. There is almost always a way around ridiculously-priced parts. I have even seen the cyl bracket on the machine professionally modified to accept a close replacement when an exact was not available at a reasonable cost. There are also skid junkyards around. But to answer your original question, I guess others say that mega-bucks are possible. Usually, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Hard for me to believe that other options aren't available if one takes the effort to research other ways to go about it.
where are the skid junkyards at? haven't found any myself............

Fishfiles

where are the skid junkyards at? haven't found any myself............
You right Iowa Dave , there is usually always another way to skin a cat , but sometimes "time" is against you , some people don't depend on thier machines and can let thier machines sit while another source for parts are found , the work done or parts come in , but others depend on thier machines to work everyday , if it don't work no money is made , if they have to rent a machine to fill in and keep the job going that cost money which can quickly equal out any savings , with that said sometimes it is better to just pay the price and get it done , move on and make some more money ------- Your right too , Sterlclan , I have found a few junk yards that say they have Bobcat parts but have never had the luck that they have what it is I am looking for

mllud

You right Iowa Dave , there is usually always another way to skin a cat , but sometimes "time" is against you , some people don't depend on thier machines and can let thier machines sit while another source for parts are found , the work done or parts come in , but others depend on thier machines to work everyday , if it don't work no money is made , if they have to rent a machine to fill in and keep the job going that cost money which can quickly equal out any savings , with that said sometimes it is better to just pay the price and get it done , move on and make some more money ------- Your right too , Sterlclan , I have found a few junk yards that say they have Bobcat parts but have never had the luck that they have what it is I am looking for
Steerclan.
I have done bussiness with http://www.wengers.com . They have mostly bobcat skidsteers. They did have a few parts fior my N/H.
The work by part/model number. They have their inventory in a database. Mike

Fishfiles

Steerclan.
I have done bussiness with http://www.wengers.com . They have mostly bobcat skidsteers. They did have a few parts fior my N/H.
The work by part/model number. They have their inventory in a database. Mike
Wengers is really good on John Deere ------------- something on the inventory database part number look up I have learned which may help in the quest is that bobcat changes part numbers frequently , I was told it is for several reasons , one would be change of vender , if a certain part came from say Company A and they start getting from Company B then the part number will change so they can track the parts , also sometimes they will retro fit a new part like say a pump comes from Company B with a 3000 psi relief cartraige and they change the cartrage to a 2500 psi before shipping it out the part number would change again , so I have found that one part may have many different part numbers that will fit , so when hunting down a part it is good to call the dealer and ask for the latest part number ( supercede) and use as many part numbers as you can find to help the person looking for you as one number will sometimes come up for them and others won't

jerry

I've seen this subject here before so I stopped at the Two Harbors machine shop and asked the price of a replacement tilt cylinder for a bobcat. The manager said they run $500-$700 to make a replacement and they have made quite a few. If they can use some of the parts from the old one of course it makes a difference.

skidsteer.ca

I've seen this subject here before so I stopped at the Two Harbors machine shop and asked the price of a replacement tilt cylinder for a bobcat. The manager said they run $500-$700 to make a replacement and they have made quite a few. If they can use some of the parts from the old one of course it makes a difference.
Jerry
I have never been there, (less then 200 miles away) but have heard good things.
I have one of their 200 Serco knuckle boom loaders. I bought it with 8500 hours and we decided to re pack several of the massive 6" and 7" bore cylinders. The plastic poly packs were pretty worn but the hard parts were excellent.
For some reason the cylinders built for these loaders have a external thread and nut to hold the cylinder together, which is a excellent design, as the pressure attempts to expand the bore the nut reinforces it, rather then surrender its grip.
I have heard when it comes to cylinders they can do it
Ken