Throwing good money after bad

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TooMuchTin

I've had a 753 for about 10 years. I don't use it much, but when I need it I really do. 5 months ago the hydrolic pump went out so I paid the shop 7k for reparis. Shortly thereafter, I got water into the oil, so I put a new head on the machine for about 1k. Now water is still getting into the oil. Looks like I need a new block. Any thoughts? Any leads on a shortblock?

mrbb

first off, welcome to the site

next, its kinda impossible to say much about what is worth ding or not, without knowing the history and condition of the machine at hand
as like all things, they wear out from use or abuse
being this ia forum, and all we know is what YOU tell us,, so, its again impossible for me or anyone one else to say whether continuing to repair is the best thing to do here!

as at some point, throwing money at a old worn out machine isn;t the best way to go, some times, money is better spent towards a newer or better condition machine.
SO< what you have to maybe do is break down the history of the machine, how many hours, overall condition , and from there loom at things closely
look at hoses, and pins
are they OLD in need of being replaced NEXT?
all things again wear out , and many things wear out from age alone, , seals , hoses, tires and so on can all age from time passing by, sunlight, or just drying out!

SO< MY best suggestion to you is, be honest with things,. look machine over, and go from there
just throwing money at something and hoping it lasts, is a fast way to go broke!

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

Thank you for the analysis. It seems I have spent a lifetime proving your statement "throwing money at something and hoping it lasts, is a fast way to go broke!" I love going to farm machine fairs where 80 year old machines look and run great. And do their job! But I have spent a lot on vintage cars and ended up with unfinished projects.
My machine is far from perfect. I purchased it from the origional owner, a foundry company that used it to move sand. About 3,500 hours on it now. Pins are bad. The good is the new hydraulic pump and work I just paid for and the new head I paid for. The tires are new and the machine is ok. I guess the cost and availability of a replacement short block will play a big roll. And what would be a good replacement and for how much?

mrbb

I'd say then, maybe try this, start making a list of what you know is BAD< or going south, then, get online and look up costs for replacement parts, and or if your NOT doing the labor, , get some estimates
as leaving things worn like pins and such(pending how bad) can just lead to much larger costs to fix when they get very bad, like most things, its better and cheaper o replace before they get sloppy,
and then do the math, is it worth to keep throwing money into it or,. maybe time for a lower hour machine ? as odds are you can SELL this machine to help add towards a different one if it come s that way!
as the math tends to tell what direction you need to go in!
but the big part of things is being HONEST, on what is bad, going bad and should be fixed,
rather than just adding parts and spending $$$

North Idaho Wolfman

I'll first say that Kubota engines don't crack the blocks!
And water in the oil is also almost never a head or head gasket.
How these engines get water in the oil is from the gear case cover, gearcase cover seals or freeze plugs in the block under the gear case cover.
Get a competent Kubota mechanic to look at it, bet its not as bad as you think!

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

How these engines get water in the oil is from the gear case cover, gearcase cover seals or freeze plugs in the block under the gear case cover.
Wow, a glimer of hope! Thank you so much for the info. I have no idea where I could find a Kubota mechanic in this area. Can't even find a Ford mechanic in this area, but I will try. You have thrown me a life line, so I will redirect my focus.

mrbb

may I make a suggestion on a repair guy ??
Maybe try contacting a few equipment rental shops ion your area, and asking them who they use to service there equipment, you MIGHT find a few of them use the SAME person, which up's your odds that they are more skilled than some others!
as not all rental shops have there own repair guys and many DON"T just go back to dealers, trying to save a few bucks

over the yrs I know many folks that found a tech this way!, and many of them have there own service mobile trucks services, and will work on off hours if your not in a RUSH to have something done, CASH jobs if you follow over on the books!
old saying, never hurts to ask<
and never know what you may find if you do!

good luck

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

Wow, a glimer of hope! Thank you so much for the info. I have no idea where I could find a Kubota mechanic in this area. Can't even find a Ford mechanic in this area, but I will try. You have thrown me a life line, so I will redirect my focus.

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

Please forgive a stupid question. The gear case cover is the area in the front, under/behind the water pump and the fan belt?

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

It has been my experience that unless your loader is used to turn a profit, as in working a business, you better learn to fix it yourself or you definitely will go broke.
I've been self employed in construction my whole life and always believed in the do it your self, but mechanics has always seemed a mystery. But your right, I learned my lesson on the hydraulic pump. Not to mention the 2 months they took.

Jyuma1

I've been self employed in construction my whole life and always believed in the do it your self, but mechanics has always seemed a mystery. But your right, I learned my lesson on the hydraulic pump. Not to mention the 2 months they took.
I've been self-employed for 50 years in a variety of businesses ranging from Precision Sheet Metal fabrication to carpentry to TV repair to IT Consulting. I've learned through the years that what a professional (not brain surgery) needs to charge me to make a profit, I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.
Of course, it helps to have nearly every tool known to man. :)

OP
OP
T

TooMuchTin

I've been self-employed for 50 years in a variety of businesses ranging from Precision Sheet Metal fabrication to carpentry to TV repair to IT Consulting. I've learned through the years that what a professional (not brain surgery) needs to charge me to make a profit, I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.
Of course, it helps to have nearly every tool known to man. :)
See, that's the thing. When I get frustrated doing mechanics myself, I am SURE it is because they have a secret tool nobody else can get, and special coded instructions never released to the public.

Jyuma1

I own and maintain a classic 83 Mercedes 380sl. I bought it new in 1983 and I still have it. I agree with your special tools comment but not for working on my 80's Thomas T133 skid steer or my BH108 backhoe attachment. However, the Mercedes is a different story. I've spent a fortune on special tools over the years but now that I've got them, they're just another tool in my tool cabinet(s).

Funny story... the 80's Mercedes V8's require a special tool for removing the rocker arms, which I didn't have. As luck might have it, there was a picture of the tool in the service manual, and I did own a precision sheet metal factory at the time. So, I had my guys make the tool from the picture and it worked great. Every once in a while, you win one. :)

spitzair

While I totally agree with doing things yourself wherever possible there are also times when it really is best to leave it to the professionals. Sure it will cost a few pesos but Many times have I seen or heard of someone thinking they can do something themselves for much cheaper than Charlie's Shop and Tire Repair only to make a complete mess of it before realizing they're in way over their head and needing to take it there anyways, often in much worse condition than had they taken it there in the first place, and consequently costing substantially more to fix properly. I guess the real key here is knowing when to stop and ask for help or taking it to someone who knows what they're doing.

As far as throwing good money after bad, I would think that once you have these issues sorted out you will have a very reliable machine once again. Those 753s are a well built machine and if looked after properly will last you a very long time! Plus now that you've owned the machine for 10 years you know it, what issues it has and what it is likely to need.

North Idaho Wolfman

No you can't really pull the gear case apart while the engine is in there, your going to need to pull it.
Do you have the repair manual for the engine?

Latest posts