Thoughts on idling?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

phourgenres

Sometimes if im the only one around, im doing a lot of tasks that get me getting out of my loader. If im getting out and doing a 5m task, is it better for the machine to not turn it off and back on again? I hate that it wastes gas and hours, but i wasn't sure if its harmful for the machine to constantly turn on and off.

foton

depending on what emmissions controls it has would be my first concern , if it is on the new side with def and a regen mode I would let it run so the computer can set the cleaning cycles and there would be less chance of turning it off at the wrong time and messing up the cleaning cycles, and then a trip to the dealer. if it is old school if it was to needed to idle over 15 min. then I would turn it off, unless the temps were real cold then I would set it for a fast idle and let it run. diesels operate best at full operating temps. I will not get into the weeds on figureing out starter and battery wear from restarts.

foton

depending on what emmissions controls it has would be my first concern , if it is on the new side with def and a regen mode I would let it run so the computer can set the cleaning cycles and there would be less chance of turning it off at the wrong time and messing up the cleaning cycles, and then a trip to the dealer. if it is old school if it was to needed to idle over 15 min. then I would turn it off, unless the temps were real cold then I would set it for a fast idle and let it run. diesels operate best at full operating temps. I will not get into the weeds on figureing out starter and battery wear from restarts.
something I did not mention is most manf. want you to idle a engine for 5 min. before turn off to cool down turbo. so right there is some of you answer.

OP
OP
P

phourgenres

something I did not mention is most manf. want you to idle a engine for 5 min. before turn off to cool down turbo. so right there is some of you answer.
Its brand new. The dealer said to just turn the throttle down for 30s before I turn it off. Is that too short of idle? Sometimes i just need it for 5m to unload a pallet off my trailer. What kind of cycling should i do in that instance? Give it 30s to warm up and 30s to cool down?

foton

Its brand new. The dealer said to just turn the throttle down for 30s before I turn it off. Is that too short of idle? Sometimes i just need it for 5m to unload a pallet off my trailer. What kind of cycling should i do in that instance? Give it 30s to warm up and 30s to cool down?
as far as running on a cold start up I would let it get to around 140 degrees F. before running at W.O.T. if you use it that way.(I do not, I use the foot pedal and less than 2000 rpm usally ). Why dont you look at the engine manual and see what they suggest,I would think it should go over this. what machine is this anyway?

OP
OP
P

phourgenres

as far as running on a cold start up I would let it get to around 140 degrees F. before running at W.O.T. if you use it that way.(I do not, I use the foot pedal and less than 2000 rpm usally ). Why dont you look at the engine manual and see what they suggest,I would think it should go over this. what machine is this anyway?
case tr310

Tazza

Staff member
case tr310
I see no reason why idling for 5 minutes would hurt anything, it will allow the oil cooler to cool the hydraulic oil a bit more before starting up again.
The only down side I see is that it will clock up more hours, the starting process won't be hard on a machine, especially if it's warm, it will fire up easily.

Latest posts