Thomas 233 Plus Drive Chains

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

isletlake

I have a 233 Plus, 80's version, its been a fantastic skid steer till now, 2200 hrs. I broke a left rear drive chain on the machine. No big deal I thought, once I got it apart. I replaced the chain with the best I could get, Diamond brand. I have since busted the same chain four times. It only will last a few hrs before it breaks again. I am unable to figure out whats going on, the sprockets are straight and no broken teeth. There was abit of slack in the bearing preload and I tightened it up, put it back together and pow, broke again under light use. But I tested it here at home and I put it to the test, full throttle pushing hard, side to side steering and it held up, so I think I have it finally!!!. I take it out to a grass field to move some bales and it breaks as I start to back up. I am stumped. Maybe its to loose I think, so where is the chain tighteners??cant find them or anything in the manual on how to tighten the chains. I have only had trouble with the one wheel and I just bought another chain and this stuff is like gold. Can anyone give me some ides's why this is happening. Thanks so much for reading this.

antfarmer2

How did you mesure the chain you go by links not length and best to replace all at one time so they don't fight each other on mine you slide the reduuction box back and forth to ajust

OP
OP
I

isletlake

How did you mesure the chain you go by links not length and best to replace all at one time so they don't fight each other on mine you slide the reduuction box back and forth to ajust
Hi Is yours a 233, I went by length, but you might have a good point, the manual doesn't say how many links. I don't believe the gear reduction box moves on this one but I will have a closer look tomorrow, and I am going to count the links on the unbroken side. Mine has four chains, front are shorter than the rear. Thanks much for your input so far

antfarmer2

Hi Is yours a 233, I went by length, but you might have a good point, the manual doesn't say how many links. I don't believe the gear reduction box moves on this one but I will have a closer look tomorrow, and I am going to count the links on the unbroken side. Mine has four chains, front are shorter than the rear. Thanks much for your input so far
Mine is a 743 one box of chain would do one front and one back with I think 3 links left over yours is probley to long and folded over binded up in the chain case and you know the rest

antfarmer2

Mine is a 743 one box of chain would do one front and one back with I think 3 links left over yours is probley to long and folded over binded up in the chain case and you know the rest
What size is yours mine is 80HD but was sold 80 lucky I caught it take a look at loadersourceparts might get a better price

kroog

Try the following website for parts and service manuals on your machine. www.thomasloaders.com