Testing Hydro pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Motoskid

Parting out a couple machines that I got not running and no history. Is there a way to check the hydro pumps out of the machine? Should I just take them apart and check seals, surfaces etc? Is it worth the work of installing in my running machine to test or??

Tazza

Staff member
There are two ways of looking at it, what will the parts be worth re-conditioned and what are they worth "as is".
If you were to crack them open to look for wear, you will need new seals, so that's a cost.
If you are talking the main hydrostatic pump, as long as all parts are flat and the pistons are tight in the rotating groups, the pump should be in good shape. You will need to check out the relief and replenishing valves too.
The only part you can't test on the bench without gear is the vane and gear pumps.

OP
OP
M

Motoskid

There are two ways of looking at it, what will the parts be worth re-conditioned and what are they worth "as is".
If you were to crack them open to look for wear, you will need new seals, so that's a cost.
If you are talking the main hydrostatic pump, as long as all parts are flat and the pistons are tight in the rotating groups, the pump should be in good shape. You will need to check out the relief and replenishing valves too.
The only part you can't test on the bench without gear is the vane and gear pumps.
Re-conditioned seems like they are worth a lot more. I don't mind spending a little bit to get back a good return. Maybe it's worth having a shop test/recondition them?

Tazza

Staff member
Re-conditioned seems like they are worth a lot more. I don't mind spending a little bit to get back a good return. Maybe it's worth having a shop test/recondition them?
Getting it tested is an option, you can only ask for a price. To get it re-conditioned at a shop, i believe that will eat up most of the profit you were hoping to get.
Piston pumps are pretty easy to check and most of the times you can repair the wear plates to save some money.