Tapperd bobtach pins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bvill01

Needing to remove lower tappered pins on bobtach on my bobcat I removed nuts and bolts what's the best way to remove ?

flyerdan

Since they get crudded up with lots of debris usually, the best method is to gently drive them out with a drift from the bottom up.
If you go to the manual thread and find your model (or one close) there is instructions in the main frame section on how to do it.

Tazza

Staff member
Since they get crudded up with lots of debris usually, the best method is to gently drive them out with a drift from the bottom up.
If you go to the manual thread and find your model (or one close) there is instructions in the main frame section on how to do it.
I assume you're talking the pivot pins not the wedges to hold he bucket on.
Remove the grease nipple, wind the bolt out a few turns then hit the head with a sledge hammer. The pins have a taper to lovk them to the arms, you need to break this seal. Ensure when you put them back in, you clean off all grease to give it good contact and lockup.

flyerdan

I assume you're talking the pivot pins not the wedges to hold he bucket on.
Remove the grease nipple, wind the bolt out a few turns then hit the head with a sledge hammer. The pins have a taper to lovk them to the arms, you need to break this seal. Ensure when you put them back in, you clean off all grease to give it good contact and lockup.
D'oh, I misunderstood the taper pins, assumed the ones holding the bucket on... The relevant manual should address that, a few pages away from what I described. The only thing I'd differ with Tazza on is I'd use an air hammer with a pulley driver to nudge the bolt headed pin loose. If it sounds like an air hammer is my go to solution, it's because they're quite effective without the possible collateral damage of a big hammer.

Tazza

Staff member
D'oh, I misunderstood the taper pins, assumed the ones holding the bucket on... The relevant manual should address that, a few pages away from what I described. The only thing I'd differ with Tazza on is I'd use an air hammer with a pulley driver to nudge the bolt headed pin loose. If it sounds like an air hammer is my go to solution, it's because they're quite effective without the possible collateral damage of a big hammer.
I like the air hammer idea too, some times they just don't have enough punch, the sledgie is a lot more vicious, and i have damaged threads with it before. Only wind the bolt out a few turns to give the maximum amount of thread to stay in the pin to hopefully not damege it.

craigb93

I like the air hammer idea too, some times they just don't have enough punch, the sledgie is a lot more vicious, and i have damaged threads with it before. Only wind the bolt out a few turns to give the maximum amount of thread to stay in the pin to hopefully not damege it.
I just take the bolt out, remove the lock-washer and screw it back in just fat of the washer thickness, then whack it once.

flyerdan

Thanks guys how about torquing the lower bolt and nuts does anyone remember ?
There is a T300 book in the manual thread that has a section on torques - it's based on thread size and bolt grade for both SAE and metric, as well as hydraulic fittings. Might be worth a look.