Tapered tilt pin won't tighten

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JimH

I am putting new pins and bushings in my T190 at the bobtach and tilt cylinders. I got them all out without too much challenge, cleaned everything up and I'm now putting the new ones in. Well, as you might guess, three of the four tapered pins went in and tightened up just fine. But, now the tapered pin on the left side at the bottom of the boom arm will not tighten. This is the one that slides into the bobtach elongated hole and has no access to the other end. I used a vise grip on the bolt head and pulled it out into the taper as I turned it. This worked up to about 1/2 inch from the pin seating, but then it just spun. I'm sure I got grease on the tapered surface, so maybe I'll need to take it apart, be more careful with the grease, and start over. But before I do that, does anyone have any ideas on how I might get this pin to seat and not turn with the bolt?

joebobcat

Chances are it loosened in use and opened up the bore to the degree that it now won't fit properly. It's a swedged fit ( Bobcats term , not mine) the right way to tighten these Is as you mentioned 1) have both surfaces as clean as possible 2) assemble the pins and bolts into the side of the loader ends 3 and most importantly, use a high speed impact to run in the bolt. The pin should grab immediately and cinch up. If not this usually means the bore is worn
Out of round or the pin itself. Let's hope it's the latter not the former ( as this is a good deal more work and involves purch of a loader end casting and cutting out the old one and welding in a new one. It's time consuming and a bit pricey

OP
OP
J

JimH

Thanks immensely for the reply. I just went out to try again. This time I used a claw hammer wedged behind the bolt head and hammered on it in a way to jolt the bolt and pin outward. It took a few tries but it worked. I was really concerned that if the pin is turning on the bolt, it would also turn when I attempt to loosen the bolt, leaving me in a real predicament. My lesson here is that I shouldn't take measures to keep things from seizing, that are intended to seize. Again thanks for your help joebobcat, it's good to know I'm not in this alone.

foton

if you ruff up one surface enough for it to bite into the mating surface you might get away with it for a while if torqued to the upper limit of the connector.

little_fellow

I am putting new pins and bushings in my T190 at the bobtach and tilt cylinders. I got them all out without too much challenge, cleaned everything up and I'm now putting the new ones in. Well, as you might guess, three of the four tapered pins went in and tightened up just fine. But, now the tapered pin on the left side at the bottom of the boom arm will not tighten. This is the one that slides into the bobtach elongated hole and has no access to the other end. I used a vise grip on the bolt head and pulled it out into the taper as I turned it. This worked up to about 1/2 inch from the pin seating, but then it just spun. I'm sure I got grease on the tapered surface, so maybe I'll need to take it apart, be more careful with the grease, and start over. But before I do that, does anyone have any ideas on how I might get this pin to seat and not turn with the bolt?
Did you try using an impact gun on it? That worked good for me.

OP
OP
J

JimH

Did you try using an impact gun on it? That worked good for me.
This sounds like it would be much better than what I did, but as I mentioned above, after lots of tries, I did finally get it to seat by prying (whacking) it outward, and then it wrenched down tight.

SlowDave

I deal with a lot of tapers on machinery. First off, take it apart and clean it all with brake cleaner. Then feel the taper on both the female and male sides for burrs and distortion. Remove any burrs with a stone. Then put it back together with Loctite retaining compound. Make a reverse puller using a piece of all thread so you can pull the taper in and retain it tight until the retaining compound sets. Then tighten the bolt after it sets.

OP
OP
J

JimH

I deal with a lot of tapers on machinery. First off, take it apart and clean it all with brake cleaner. Then feel the taper on both the female and male sides for burrs and distortion. Remove any burrs with a stone. Then put it back together with Loctite retaining compound. Make a reverse puller using a piece of all thread so you can pull the taper in and retain it tight until the retaining compound sets. Then tighten the bolt after it sets.
Thanks SlowDave, sounds like a best practice for sure.