T650 struggles to start unless I jump starter solenoid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tferrari

I have a bobcat T650, most of the time it struggles to start (kinda half turns over) unless I connect a jump starter to it, then it starts battery is brand new and fully charged so today I figured I'd try to fix it, I cleaned all the connections, even replaced a couple if tattered looking wires put it all together again with new battery terminal connections.... same problem battery is 100% charged and all the connections I can see are fine just to test it, I put a switched wire from where the solenoid connects to the starter to the main positive wire the as soon as I jump the switch it starts instantly, time and tima again, starts instantly but when I go back to the push button start it goes back to its half hearted tuning over again Obviously I'm missing something simple, please can someone suggest where to try next, I'm guessing there are other connections in the electrical system that actually jump the solenoid at the starter and one of these connections must be pretty weak all hints gratefully received

rjitreeman0909

If I understand condition the following help you find cause. Check all wires, lugs, fuses etc. in the push button circuit. Somewhere between the battery + terminal and solenoid coil terminal is a high resistance/ large voltage drop item. Fix or replace.

OP
OP
T

tferrari

If I understand condition the following help you find cause. Check all wires, lugs, fuses etc. in the push button circuit. Somewhere between the battery + terminal and solenoid coil terminal is a high resistance/ large voltage drop item. Fix or replace.
thanks for the response, I do notice that when it struggles to start, the starter relay is clicking rapidly Do you think it could be the solenoid itself? I've ordered another starter/solenoid to see if that helps

flyerdan

thanks for the response, I do notice that when it struggles to start, the starter relay is clicking rapidly Do you think it could be the solenoid itself? I've ordered another starter/solenoid to see if that helps
Your solenoid is fine, if it was bad it wouldn't work with the jumper wire (which is basically what a remote starter switch is).
Since you've went through and cleaned up everything at the battery and starter, it's probably in the switch or wire to the solenoid, as mentioned above. If the switch isn't sealed, maybe spray it with some contact cleaner and see if that helps; sometimes a switch will gum up and show full voltage on a test meter until it has to supply any amperage, then the gunk resistance will drop the voltage until you get a solenoid chatter.

Jfarms

Your solenoid is fine, if it was bad it wouldn't work with the jumper wire (which is basically what a remote starter switch is).
Since you've went through and cleaned up everything at the battery and starter, it's probably in the switch or wire to the solenoid, as mentioned above. If the switch isn't sealed, maybe spray it with some contact cleaner and see if that helps; sometimes a switch will gum up and show full voltage on a test meter until it has to supply any amperage, then the gunk resistance will drop the voltage until you get a solenoid chatter.
I am having the same problem with my t650. Did you figure out what the problem was?

biggie

I seem to remember. The early push button, M series ignition switches had an issue with huge voltage draw. Not sure if yours has this type of switch. The newer start switch is a rotary type switch.