t190 really hard start -- white smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rosskent

When I try to start sometimes the motor is really hard to turn over. Like there is a starter problem. Then if i get lucky it turns over once then it spins as normal. When i finally get it started it blows white smoke like crazy. I think i may have head problems.. Anybody have a better diagnostic

OldMachinist

White smoke it ether coolant or unburnt fuel. Unburnt fuel could be from a leaky injector or bad glow plugs. Coolant would be from a blown head gasket or cracked head. Since you say it cranks real slow at first its getting enough liquid in a cylinder/cylinders to cause some hydraulic lock. Continued use will cause problems like bent connecting rods and holes burnt in pistons.
Does show any coolant loss when you check it?
What does the smoke smell like?

ZANMAN

Glow plugs if it was head it wouldnt start or it would only start for a few seconds
Sounds like a cracked head, pull your head and clean it, check for cracks between the valves, also check the corner of the head, they are known to crack where the blue o'ring is, but usually leaks to the outside of the head. Did you ever get any codes for overheating? You would need to bring it to a bobcat dealer to check for past codes, they are always stored in memory. Check you radiator for being clogged, also check your cooling fan and belt drive. Tensioner bearings and pulley bearings go bad all the time.

Latest posts