Swapping v2203 engine with reefer v2203.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bremik

Has anyone done this? Finding a v2203 for skidloader seemed impossible. Found reefer engine but need to swap manifolds, oil pan, fuel primer pump. Anything else or things to watch for?

Bswwood

You will also need to swap front cover and change over governor springs. The governor linkage may not have a hole for the start spring to attach to front cover and will need to be drilled. Most reefer engines have the dipstick in the oil pan and not the block. You will need to drill the block and add an insert with new dipstick. The intake manifold will be different and your old intake may not fit with the reefer injector lines. The reefer will be direct injected and I would assume The bobcat 2203 is indirect injected which has a different injector line configuration. Really depends on the model of the reefer on how much of a pain the swap will be. I have swapped many and seen many different configurations of reefer engines, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Marfoo

I'm receiving my reefer motor Wednesday to do the same thing in my 763F… How has it gone for you?

MooShooGuru

Not a Skid Steer but I purchased a backhoe Kubota L45 with a V2203 locked engine. Found the cam journals shot and the cylinder #1 shot as well along with the crankshaft. Purchased a reefer engine V2203 and just completed the changeover. Here is what I had to do. Went from Indirect injection to Direct Injection. I rebuilt the reefer engine with new pistons, bearings, wear rings, and lapped valves. I had to use my timing cover so governor controls could be used but my gear cover was built for balance shafts and had open areas.

I made a dam from clay and prepped the cover for a JB weld pour and once set, filed to fit the engine and was good to go. I had to use the reefer intake manifold but the holes for the air cleaner mount were offset and I had to make an adapter plate. Also my hydraulic pump was a 3 hole and reefer block was 4 hole, I brazed a piece of steel bar to the block and using the pump as my guide drilled the third hole and tapped it, and put plugs into the two unused holes. I had to drill hole in the block for dipstick and used the old dipstick holder and JB welded to the reefer block.

Also the fuel pump is mechanical and runs off the injection cam and so I had to use my original injection cam and drill a 3/4 inch hole and two 8mm threaded holes for the fuel pump to mount to. I did set the fuel injection timing to 12 degrees BTDC but I just moved it to 16.50 degree BTDC It seems to be starting easier, but I'm thinking about trying 20 degree BTDC as at 16 I can still smell fuel but I don't have any smoke at any of the settings. Been quiet the project, but should be completed soon.

Attachments

• AirCleanerAdapter.jpg
    AirCleanerAdapter.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 67
  • V2203 Engine Build.mp4
    22.1 MB

Jim A

Oldforge power in Pennsylvania has hundreds of engines . They may have one.

Jdeere53

You will also need to swap front cover and change over governor springs. The governor linkage may not have a hole for the start spring to attach to front cover and will need to be drilled. Most reefer engines have the dipstick in the oil pan and not the block. You will need to drill the block and add an insert with new dipstick. The intake manifold will be different and your old intake may not fit with the reefer injector lines. The reefer will be direct injected and I would assume The bobcat 2203 is indirect injected which has a different injector line configuration. Really depends on the model of the reefer on how much of a pain the swap will be. I have swapped many and seen many different configurations of reefer engines, let me know if you have any specific questions.
I have a 642b bobcat replacing engine with a carrier reefer motor V2203. I need a shorter oil pan on the V2203 kubota to aline the motor with the hydraulic pump, need info on part number & where to buy one

North Idaho Wolfman

I have a 642b bobcat replacing engine with a carrier reefer motor V2203. I need a shorter oil pan on the V2203 kubota to aline the motor with the hydraulic pump, need info on part number & where to buy one
You can get a pan from a 743 that should fit your need.

MooShooGuru

I have a pan I took off my v2203, as my machine needed the original pan put back on here some pictures. If you can use it, I'll ship it out for $100. was about to put it on Ebay. You'll just need a gasket kit.

Attachments

• oilpan-1.jpg
    oilpan-1.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 76
  • oilpan-2.jpg
    oilpan-2.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Oilpan-3.jpg
    Oilpan-3.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 65

North Idaho Wolfman

I have a pan I took off my v2203, as my machine needed the original pan put back on here some pictures. If you can use it, I'll ship it out for $100. was about to put it on Ebay. You'll just need a gasket kit.
I would think if he was dealing with a reefer motor, that is the pan he already has, and he needs a stock bobcat pan for it to fit.