Suggestions for a new buyer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KansasShoe

First of thank you to anyone willing to help me out with their expertise. I have never owned a skid steer. I own some meadow and wooded areas on reasonably flat terrain (a few hills and creeks). I had a tractor for 3 years and got done what I could. I am now at a point I have a lot of brush to clear and even more dirt to move. I know I need a skid steer ( low to the ground and powerful not to mention quicker than a tractor. I have done a few months of research. I know of 4 machines I can afford with my budget of 17k. I know I am going to have to get a machine with some hours on it. I will only be using this machine for brush hogging and dirt moving (piling trees occasionally). 2003 Case 95XT Open Cab with 3000 hours. Solid rubber tires. 2007 NH L185 Cab with heat. 6700 hours but engine was replaced 2000 hours ago. Brand new tires. 2000 Caterpillar 246 Open cab with 2200 hours foam filled tires 04 NH L180 2700 hours open cab Tires look good. I'm thinking the caterpillar 246 is a good option because of the hours but the age makes me hesitate. Should it? Any suggestions from people more knowledgeable than me would be appreciated. Should I even be considering the NH with the new motor? All dealers I am working with are very reputable. Thanks

foton

age has its good points like no emissions to go wrong. cat is good about parts availability and service , but make sure you get a machine that is big enough to do you need, high flow to run a mower?, aux hydros gpm is important, so there is more to ponder. and it has been talked about 6000 hrs. on diesel engine life. of course some people can tear up anything in short order.

OP
OP
K

KansasShoe

age has its good points like no emissions to go wrong. cat is good about parts availability and service , but make sure you get a machine that is big enough to do you need, high flow to run a mower?, aux hydros gpm is important, so there is more to ponder. and it has been talked about 6000 hrs. on diesel engine life. of course some people can tear up anything in short order.
Thank you for your advice. I don't think I will need a high flow, but I could be wrong. Do you or anyone else thing the NH with the new engine is going to be a money pit?

kecamml

First of thank you to anyone willing to help me out with their expertise. I have never owned a skid steer. I own some meadow and wooded areas on reasonably flat terrain (a few hills and creeks). I had a tractor for 3 years and got done what I could. I am now at a point I have a lot of brush to clear and even more dirt to move. I know I need a skid steer ( low to the ground and powerful not to mention quicker than a tractor. I have done a few months of research. I know of 4 machines I can afford with my budget of 17k. I know I am going to have to get a machine with some hours on it. I will only be using this machine for brush hogging and dirt moving (piling trees occasionally). 2003 Case 95XT Open Cab with 3000 hours. Solid rubber tires. 2007 NH L185 Cab with heat. 6700 hours but engine was replaced 2000 hours ago. Brand new tires. 2000 Caterpillar 246 Open cab with 2200 hours foam filled tires 04 NH L180 2700 hours open cab Tires look good. I'm thinking the caterpillar 246 is a good option because of the hours but the age makes me hesitate. Should it? Any suggestions from people more knowledgeable than me would be appreciated. Should I even be considering the NH with the new motor? All dealers I am working with are very reputable. Thanks
Case