Substitute for Bobcat Hydraulic/Hydrostatic Fluid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

Anybody have any experience with using a substitute for Bobcat's hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid?
I should probably think about changing my fluid out soon and am thinking about synthetic alternatives because of the cold weather we see here. I haven't seen any problems with the factory fluid and have changed my hydraulic filter when recommended. Bobcat's website states: "All Bobcat loader engines' must use API classification CD, CE or better. Hydraulic and hydrostatic fluid specifications must use Bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic transmission fluid (P/N 6563328). If this fluid is not available, use 10W-30 or 10W-40 SAE Motor Oil."
The downside to changing to a different type of fluid is that if I rent or borrow a hydraulic attachment I would contaminate my system. Probably be best for me to stay with factory oil, but just wanted opinions.

sterlclan

I use 10 40 in my machine for hydralic oil and havent had any problems as of yet. It also gets pretty cold here in Maine as well so I run synthetic motor oil in my trucks and have had good luck with it. Mobil synthetic oil says it is compatable with any oil perhaps using it in the hydralics may not be a bad idea. Jeff

OP
OP
500K_773

500K_773

I use 10 40 in my machine for hydralic oil and havent had any problems as of yet. It also gets pretty cold here in Maine as well so I run synthetic motor oil in my trucks and have had good luck with it. Mobil synthetic oil says it is compatable with any oil perhaps using it in the hydralics may not be a bad idea. Jeff
It would be expensive to run Mobil synthetic oil in my skidsteer. The hyraulic system calls for 8 gallons x $20/gallon = $160. Good thing the recommended change interval is 1,000 hours.

sterlclan

It would be expensive to run Mobil synthetic oil in my skidsteer. The hyraulic system calls for 8 gallons x $20/gallon = $160. Good thing the recommended change interval is 1,000 hours.
Yup it is pricy but with the synthetic I have increased the interval between changes with no noticeable ill effects as a matter of fact the oil looks good when changed at 6000 miles (still clearish not too black at all and still feels like oil) just my 2 cents worth

Latest posts