Strange Failure 287B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

Got a call on a 287B no-start. Customer was pushing a large boulder out of a hole, and as he moved the rock, the left rear of the machine fell backwards into the hole so when I got there, the machine was front-up, at about a 30 degree angle, with no electrical power. He stated that the machine had simply shut-down as soon as he fell in the hole. He had to push out the rear window to egress.
There was a mini-ex on site so I used it to sort of drag the machine out of the hole by hooking the side of the bucket and pulling the front of the machine sideways, repositioning and pulling until the machine sat relatively level.
I entered through the rear window(cab machine, boom blocking the door) and it fired right up. Could not get it to repeat. Checked fuses, seat bar harness, battery connections, what I could without opening the machine up.
Does the machine have a seat switch that I just couldn't get enough weight on at that angle?
Whats up? Any ideas? I'm thinking something is wrong and it's gonna happen again and I want to get smart so I can charge him next time=).

Tazza

Staff member
Not even BobcatRon?
The only thing i could think of was the fuel pickup stoping the engine but this wouldn't explain loss of power.
Could it be as simple as a damaged battery? Possibly a broken arm bit that holds the plates internally. Possibly low electrolite? As its electrical i would personally start with the battery as i have never heard of an angle sensor and especially one that would kill ALL power, that would be a safety issue.
I wish you luck!

bobcat_ron

The only thing i could think of was the fuel pickup stoping the engine but this wouldn't explain loss of power.
Could it be as simple as a damaged battery? Possibly a broken arm bit that holds the plates internally. Possibly low electrolite? As its electrical i would personally start with the battery as i have never heard of an angle sensor and especially one that would kill ALL power, that would be a safety issue.
I wish you luck!
It could be the shut off solenoid from the injector pump, if it was the fuel pick up, it would have been a PITA to fire back up, Cat might have a gravity switch on their engine that no one knows about, since no one has ever gotten a machine to that angle and not shut it off before.