Still having drive issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sterlclan

Under moderate use the right drive gets groany is there an easy way to tell if it is the pump or drive motor? the hydralics seem fine and the left side works decent . if I go really easy sometimes it wont get groany at all any advise? thanks Jeff

skidsteer.ca

It works ok, it just gets very noisy, or does it start to lose power too?
The only thing I can think of would be to swap your drive motors and see if the problem follows the motor or stays the same.
Look for wear/contamination in the fluid when you have it apart. Take a sample of oil and let it sit in a glass jar for 36 hours and see if any black particles settle out of the oil.
Do your motors have case drain filters in the small lines coming from them? Check those.
Would the volume or fluid coming through the case drains be a good indicator of how worn the motors are?
Ken

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

It works ok, it just gets very noisy, or does it start to lose power too?
The only thing I can think of would be to swap your drive motors and see if the problem follows the motor or stays the same.
Look for wear/contamination in the fluid when you have it apart. Take a sample of oil and let it sit in a glass jar for 36 hours and see if any black particles settle out of the oil.
Do your motors have case drain filters in the small lines coming from them? Check those.
Would the volume or fluid coming through the case drains be a good indicator of how worn the motors are?
Ken
nope it gets weak as well.the case drain lines seemed ok as did the filter in the port block it only has 20 or so hours on it and the oil is realtivly new 10 to 15 hours I fixed some leaks around the port block and on the oil cooler thinking that I had air getting in. the fact that it can be run easy(no load) for quite some time has me puzzled I hate to take it apart now as it could snow more anytime HOPEFULLY I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and do it anyway I have a new drive motor on the shelf but I didnt really want to change it Im hoping to get the pump rebulit sometime and was going to replace them all at the same time oh well thanks Ken .Jeff

skidsteer.ca

nope it gets weak as well.the case drain lines seemed ok as did the filter in the port block it only has 20 or so hours on it and the oil is realtivly new 10 to 15 hours I fixed some leaks around the port block and on the oil cooler thinking that I had air getting in. the fact that it can be run easy(no load) for quite some time has me puzzled I hate to take it apart now as it could snow more anytime HOPEFULLY I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and do it anyway I have a new drive motor on the shelf but I didnt really want to change it Im hoping to get the pump rebulit sometime and was going to replace them all at the same time oh well thanks Ken .Jeff
I could be mistaken, but on the Volvo bent axis piston motor on our log slasher, I believe the mechanic told me that as the motor wears out the flow in the case drain line increase, a result of bypassing in the motor.
I wonder if you compared the flow in the case drain on the good side versus the bad, if that would give you a indication. Unhook the case drain on the good one and extend it into a container, operate the machine and observe the flow. see how long it takes to get a gallon, Then check the other side.
I'd be very careful when you first start it incase the flow is excessive.
Just a thought
Ken

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

I could be mistaken, but on the Volvo bent axis piston motor on our log slasher, I believe the mechanic told me that as the motor wears out the flow in the case drain line increase, a result of bypassing in the motor.
I wonder if you compared the flow in the case drain on the good side versus the bad, if that would give you a indication. Unhook the case drain on the good one and extend it into a container, operate the machine and observe the flow. see how long it takes to get a gallon, Then check the other side.
I'd be very careful when you first start it incase the flow is excessive.
Just a thought
Ken
Good idea Ill try that I really dont have anything to loose Thanks