Starting a grade business.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AlbertaBlackTop

Starting a grade business To start I essentially know nothing about sub grade or final. So obviously I've decided to start a grade company. I have two pieces of equipment, a 740 Volvo grader, and a 272 ssl. I am looking to purchase laser grading equipment for both pieces. I won't talk actuall dollars as pricing varies by location, but I have narrowed it down to 1000 sq feet per hour for the ssl, and 2000 sqft(?) for the grader. My questions are does that time include compaction? Should my price include the use of a roller an a labourer? Are companies looking for strictly grading services while providing the material and compaction themselves? From what I've read the process is 1) remove the top soil 2) bring in suitable fill 3) compact and level fill 4) add a compactedand levelled (+\- 2") layer of gravel for drainage 5) spread and level final grade material Does all this sound right? Is there anything missing? Am I off on my time estimates?

mmsllc

Starting a business of any sort is a ton of work. That means always doing the things that you do not want to do. I would advise you to start a business in what you already know what to do, as that will help ease some things. However, if a grade business is what you want to do, just jump in head first. Before you know it, you will learn / know all of the in's & out's you could ever want to know. A few lessons that I have learned over the years are very important in any business. Here are just a few: 1.) NEVER say "no"! (to your customers) 2.) ALWAYS do what you said you were going to do 3.) Don't buy "toys" once you start to make money. 4.) Always BUY what you need; avoid as many payments (to anyone else = that usually just makes them better off) as possible 5.) DON'T commit to something that you know you can not do 6.) OVER-DELIVER on all of your promises

Latest posts