Starter drawing current when machine is shut down.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pgmrdan

Ended up with a dead battery. Starter is drawing 6 amps when machine is shut down.
Does that mean the solenoid is partially stuck? How else can a starter draw current if it isn't through a stuck solenoid?
Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
That's one i have never heard of.....
Just what wire is pulling 6 amps? if you remove the small wire that goes to the key, does it stop? or is it one of the main cables?
What model machine too?

7LBSSMALLIE

That's one i have never heard of.....
Just what wire is pulling 6 amps? if you remove the small wire that goes to the key, does it stop? or is it one of the main cables?
What model machine too?
remove neg batt cable place test light between neg post and batt term, if lights there is a draw , now unplug componets one at a time to isolate circut ,(proballky glow plug relay) rember fancy meters will never replace a test light. go old school.

7LBSSMALLIE

remove neg batt cable place test light between neg post and batt term, if lights there is a draw , now unplug componets one at a time to isolate circut ,(proballky glow plug relay) rember fancy meters will never replace a test light. go old school.
fast and easy always beats over complication, work smart not hard,

Tazza

Staff member
Replaced starter and current draw went down to about 0.1 amp or less for computer I'm told. Model is 751. Appears that all is well.
Very strange fault, but at least the new starter did the job.