Spooling around the detent

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KyMadMan

The detent locked and would not release. Fun ahead! I had replaced the detent sleeve about 5 years ago when I rebuilt the control valve. This machine doesn't get constant use and doubt I put more than 100 hrs on it since then. I was able to free the detent with the control in the machine. Did not replace parts yet as I can run the machine as is with no detent lock.

Questions:
When I do go to replace the ball bearings, spring, detent sleeve I'll probably have to remove the spool from the control valve to do so. Should I plan on replacing seals or will they be ok since they are fairly new. Not sure if sliding the spool out would cause damage.

Has anyone had any luck installing the ball bearings while in the machine using a wire tie, hose clamp etc, to hold the balls in place to slide the sleeve back on?

Lastly, what is the best thing/way to lube the sleeve. Not sure the life expectancy of this part, but should be longer than what it was this time.

Last edited:

Tazza

Staff member
Pretty sure i installed new balls without pulling the spool, you only need to remove the end cap, there will likely be wear grooves in it, so you will likely want to replace that too, this is the part that is retained with a clip into the aluminium end cap.

I used a heavy cable tie to compress the spring with the two balls and slide the hosing on, then cut the tie when it was seated deep enough, access isn't great, but it is doable, and you don't need to pull the spool to do it.

Oh, to hold the balls on the spring, use grease, it helps prevent them falling off.

Good luck

OP
OP
KyMadMan

KyMadMan

Pretty sure i installed new balls without pulling the spool, you only need to remove the end cap, there will likely be wear grooves in it, so you will likely want to replace that too, this is the part that is retained with a clip into the aluminium end cap.

I used a heavy cable tie to compress the spring with the two balls and slide the hosing on, then cut the tie when it was seated deep enough, access isn't great, but it is doable, and you don't need to pull the spool to do it.

Oh, to hold the balls on the spring, use grease, it helps prevent them falling off.

Good luck
Thank you for the insight again Mr. Tazza. What about lubing the end cap piece? Would you and if so, would you use regular bearing grease or perhaps a white lithium?

Tazza

Staff member
well, that is a good question.....

Greased will make it slide easier, is that a good or bad thing? you want it to hold in detent position, it will reduce wear of metal on metal, BUT if dirt gets in, it mixes with the grease and turns into lapping paste, and causes wear..... So what is the right way? The caps i have removed has grease, or was it just dirty oil that had leaked from the spool, mixed with dirt and became a greasy like substance? i can't tell you the correct answer i'm afraid.

I don't remember if there was anything in the manual detailing what to do, but this cap is mostly sealed, hard to get dirt in there, so it may be a good idea to put a little bearing grease in there, but again, i can't tell you for sure if that is the right way or not.

OP
OP
KyMadMan

KyMadMan

Here is a video that may help:

I've done this in the past but the spooler was out of the control valve. I'm trying to avoid pulling the spool. My biggest question is lubing the inside of the housing. Will probably just wipe a light coating of oil inside. I could have just ended up with a faulty part the last time around.

oiu789

Try grease and a hose clamp pr zip tie to hold the balls. Not to tightly so you can slide the cap on.

Latest posts