Snowblower attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scotty dog

Just got a new snowblower for my tracked T190 skid steer. Overall works good 2 issues.
1- unit shuts down have to turn unit off and restart to turn hydraulic back on to restart the blower. If I get it in the sweet spot (not too much or low throddle then seems to run longer. Still wondering if this is issue
2- I have a c- track and I bought carbide screw in studs that screw into track. I have one nasty hill at my place and I have slid down uncontrollably twice a little nerve racking but managed to get it out of the bank with a little effort. Wondering in advice for what tracks I need for snow or if anyone has similar setup and what works for you. I was told should put offset tracks but that's another 3 k added to the blower price want to make sure I'm doing the right move.
Thanking in advance

mrbb

if your still sliding with screw in carbides into the track, I doubt any special SNOW track is going to be any better(unless you also add studs to them too and the right amount of studs that is to either)
BUT MY first question would also be how many studs did you screw in, maybe you didn;t add enough! as studded tracks will IMO always be better than any dedicated SNOW track set up
as basically snow tracks from MY experience, honestly are typically just a softer durometer rubber , with a different thread pattern, consisting of more edges that allow things to grip and grab better in the cold temps, that snow and ice are, they stay flexible longer and all the edges grab, where as more dirt tracks have larger lugs, less edges and they are HARDER rubber, which doesn;t allow things to grip well in cold temps or slick surfaces!

and then the second disadvantage of dedicated snow tracks, is, if you use them ALL yr, they will wear out a LOT faster due to being of a softer compound!, most folks tend to remove them for summer work and save them for winter use, as once they loose there sharp edges, they do NOT work as they once did, , you can re cut things to get edges back, but your also shorting life by doing so, which again is why most will have a set JUST for snow and a set for dirt work!
that is if there budget allows
if not, again,
I doubt they will work any better than a properly studded set of standard tracks will! or should say ,a properly set of studded tracks should work better, and you can remove the studs for summer time work!

But once you add studs, to even basic tracks, you should be getting a LOT more traction, as there designed to get into snow and ice to a base under it to give grip and using the down force of the weight of the machine to give traction to the studs

also keep in mind the design and length of the carbide can make a difference
but most cases I know of where traction is still poor, its due to NOT enough studs having been added to there track!(40 yrs of snowmobiling and playing with studs to see how amount and size and design can make a big difference, YES a snowmobile is not a skid steer/CTL) but the concept is the same more or less!!
SO<> before buying SNOW Track's(not that there a bad idea, but are a a lot more than more studs)
I would ask how many studs have you added and maybe add more and see !
also keep in mind some blowers add a LOT of weight to the nose of the machine, so not having a lot of tail weight, can leave you with a lot less down force across the whole track , leaving a smaller contact patch to stop you, so, having or adding more tail weight maybe would help you with better traction

as for your machine stalling
I am not claiming to be any expert here, , but I would gather you have to have the correct amount of flow, for the unit you have and maintain that and allow both to run correctly! all the more pending the amount of snow , type of snow and speed your trying to blow it at, as in ground/travel speed, as its not that hard to over load things and make it want to load up and stall!

as NOT all snow blowers use the same, some require a lot more GPM flow rates than others
I would look up specs on both your model blower and machine spec's and see where the result get you on what each need and can make at what RPM, and what the recommended travel speed is when in deep wet snow or frozen hard snow, as them things can alter how well things run!

OP
OP
S

scotty dog

if your still sliding with screw in carbides into the track, I doubt any special SNOW track is going to be any better(unless you also add studs to them too and the right amount of studs that is to either)
BUT MY first question would also be how many studs did you screw in, maybe you didn;t add enough! as studded tracks will IMO always be better than any dedicated SNOW track set up
as basically snow tracks from MY experience, honestly are typically just a softer durometer rubber , with a different thread pattern, consisting of more edges that allow things to grip and grab better in the cold temps, that snow and ice are, they stay flexible longer and all the edges grab, where as more dirt tracks have larger lugs, less edges and they are HARDER rubber, which doesn;t allow things to grip well in cold temps or slick surfaces!

and then the second disadvantage of dedicated snow tracks, is, if you use them ALL yr, they will wear out a LOT faster due to being of a softer compound!, most folks tend to remove them for summer work and save them for winter use, as once they loose there sharp edges, they do NOT work as they once did, , you can re cut things to get edges back, but your also shorting life by doing so, which again is why most will have a set JUST for snow and a set for dirt work!
that is if there budget allows
if not, again,
I doubt they will work any better than a properly studded set of standard tracks will! or should say ,a properly set of studded tracks should work better, and you can remove the studs for summer time work!

But once you add studs, to even basic tracks, you should be getting a LOT more traction, as there designed to get into snow and ice to a base under it to give grip and using the down force of the weight of the machine to give traction to the studs

also keep in mind the design and length of the carbide can make a difference
but most cases I know of where traction is still poor, its due to NOT enough studs having been added to there track!(40 yrs of snowmobiling and playing with studs to see how amount and size and design can make a big difference, YES a snowmobile is not a skid steer/CTL) but the concept is the same more or less!!
SO<> before buying SNOW Track's(not that there a bad idea, but are a a lot more than more studs)
I would ask how many studs have you added and maybe add more and see !
also keep in mind some blowers add a LOT of weight to the nose of the machine, so not having a lot of tail weight, can leave you with a lot less down force across the whole track , leaving a smaller contact patch to stop you, so, having or adding more tail weight maybe would help you with better traction

as for your machine stalling
I am not claiming to be any expert here, , but I would gather you have to have the correct amount of flow, for the unit you have and maintain that and allow both to run correctly! all the more pending the amount of snow , type of snow and speed your trying to blow it at, as in ground/travel speed, as its not that hard to over load things and make it want to load up and stall!

as NOT all snow blowers use the same, some require a lot more GPM flow rates than others
I would look up specs on both your model blower and machine spec's and see where the result get you on what each need and can make at what RPM, and what the recommended travel speed is when in deep wet snow or frozen hard snow, as them things can alter how well things run!

OP
OP
S

scotty dog

Thanks for your comments. I have 2 rows of studs in each track on each lug approximately 64 per track. Kit came with 128 which was enough for 2 rows on each track with 2 left over. I guess I will buy another set and add more and see if it helps. Your right in weight the blower is heavy so probably would be good to add weight at back will have to figure out how to do that.
Will look into spec of equipment and see flows but there is no consistency on when it stops could be when moving lots of snow then next will be when I'm not moving much. I have 2 aux buttons one says aux and one says HE unit only runs on aux can't get the aux HE to light up not sure if that means anything. Thanks for help will do a little more digging

mrbb

if your blower requires more flow than your machine can make, it will cause it to shut things down
and its very easy to over load a blower by going too fast , snow doesn;t always be the same , as in, its not just HOW deep the snow that matters, it can be chunks of ice, or wet heavy snow as to powder snow, and that will determine a lot on how fast you can run machine into snow, to move it

blower has limits on what it can handle

as for adding weight? most OEM's have weight kits for there machcine
so I woudl look there

and I fully think adding more studs will help you here

I would also gather your having more issues trying to blow snow going UP hill, rather than down hill,
if sos, I would maybe suggest you DON"T blow snow going up your steeper section,
either make a pass down, and back up the opening,
or take small bites , go forward, back up, and repeat down the hill
this way , even if you start to slide, you will have more control on where your going, and have some snow in front of machine to also help with braking!

Gravity as a major roll in things on hills!

tracks are nice with how they float in mud and or off road conditions, , but they displace weight a lot, so your not getting a ton of down force on things, so, the more studs you have the better as they are what will be grabbing , , so having more of them to grab, ups your odds on having traction and control! if you only have 64 in one track, less than half will not be touching anything to add in traction, so thats only like 30 or so tiny studs making contact with the ground
and that's 30 or so only across what a 6 ft section of track too?
there spread rather thin, even doubling them is NOT a lot in the big picture!, so keep that in mind
the way studs work, is each tiny head only has a SMALL contact spot, the game in how they work , is the more heads the better, and then also screwing them in so they off set each other was well
as if there all in a line, they won;'t work as well as is staggered in different rows, so they all make NEW contact with the surface

I know things are not cheap
but if safety is your concern here, the more the better
as wrecking a machine, or burying one in a ditch isn;t cheap or any fun either!

Only big draw back to a lot of studs is , possible damage to pavement/concrete, but your going to have some no matter if you have 60 or 600,
carbide isn;t very forgiving to them surfaces so keep that in mind when on it! but it is what makes the studs last and get you the traction they can!

mrbb

here is a link to a counter weight kit , it will have part number and give you an idea on what OEM has for them, might be able to find a used one in a salvage yard for less,
or make one yourself if your handy,, or have a decent shop near by that can, used weights can sometimes be found again in salvage yards or online in many of the used classified places, like ace book marketplace, ebay, craigslist and so on!

mrbb

here are some basic spec's on a 190
seems like a standard flow is about 16 gpm and high flow at about 27,
I would go and compare what your blower requires and see where your at!
pending size of blower, you made not have enough GPM of flow or be darn close to the max needed, if you only have a low flow machine, which can explain your stalling issue's ! I would gather when running the blower you would want to be at FULL throttle at all times! to get max flow rates and power!
Most blowers I know of seem to take 14-16 as a min, and as they get larger in size many need way more flow
so not knowing what size blower you have or if a high or low flow machine here, justa dding some thinsg to consider!

BOBCAT T190 Specs

• MakeBobcat
    ModelT190
    TypeCompact Track Loader
    Standard Flow16. GPM
    High Flow27 GPM
    Pressure3300PSI PSI
    Hydraulic HP Standard Flow32. HP
    Hydraulic HP High Flow50.8 HP
    Engine HP66 HP
    Width66 (73.9) in.
    Lift Capacity at 35%1900 lb.