Snow removal for dummies

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rayder

Inventing gunpowder all over again is overrated, so I figured sharing some thoughts regarding snow removal would be nice. My experiences this winter + superb knowledge found here the past days, made me think of a list of things to have in mind.

*When its cold, give the machine a few minutes to warm up before heavy loads.
*Do not stay low on fuel, condensating air in the fuel tank could only cause problems during winter.
*Always make sure the tires are properly inflated, chains will grant you incredible traction. The tire will be enduring some serious sideway forces in sharp turns.(In February i literally ripped one of mine from the rim. Causing some problems inflating it again since i have tubeless tires)
*Snow-chains are best placed on the rear tires.
*If Belts for some reason is preferred make sure to not have ice forming inside them after use.
*Do not leave the machine with the risk of finding it frozen to the ground the next day.
*Make sure all the nipples for lubrication are accessible, snow turning into ice around them will become annoying. And using a rag around them also grant the bonus of less grease finding its way via cab covers etc into your hair and clothes.
*A heater for the cab or at least the engine would pay for itself pretty fast. Better fuel economy and comfort.
*Leave the machine with the bucket tilted enough forward to prevent ice forming inside it.
*Give the bucket a layer of paint before winter so the snow wont fasten, some cheap spray-paint should do the trick.
*Think carefully before investing in a wider bucket, as the bucket become wider it will have the edges dig proportionally deeper on one side when our narrow machines hit uneven terrain. A wider bucket would also make the machine less agile in tight spaces, like parking lots etc. Modification like higher sidewalls and some expanded metal in the back of the bucket would be fairly cheap and result in similar volume.
*Driving with the front wheels off the ground would perhaps look cool, but its almost never needed to force the edge of the bucket into the ice below, its enough to tilt the bucket down just enough for the front wheels to be lightened.
*I prefer to gather snow in rather large piles, then transport some real chunks to wherever the snow needs to be placed, after its set. Remember to drive carefully with the load low,and the heavy end uphill to prevent nasty surprises with larger loads.
*Find a good weather site on the web and enjoy ;)

Ray

Tazza

Staff member
Good write up, i'm sure others will have more to add with their experiences too.

Latest posts