Snow plow build

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

18-cummins

Hi guys, Brand new to the form but not new to skid steers. I am in the process of building a snow plow for my bobcat t750. I bought a older truck Meyer plow off of one of my buddies and cut off the pin connections that would have gone to the truck and welded it solid onto a QA plate. Then I took some 1/2" square stock and welded it from the top of the QA plate down to the frame of the plow so I can put down pressure if I want. Here is where I am getting stumped the hydraulics to make the plow move off of the aux hydros. I'm pretty sure the female end on the aux hydros on my t750 is the supply and the male is the return. Then on the plow hydros existing there are two cylinders with just one line going to each. Would it be possible somehow to make it work with what I have or do I have to resort to getting new hydros on the plow? If so does anyone recommend what and where to purchase these? I wish I could post some pics but don't know how yet. Thanks for any help in advance.

flyerdan

If the cylinders are tied together at the closed end, they should act like a double ended steer cylinder. The aux toggle should move it left and right just like it will turn an auger forward or backward.
The only downside would be if one of the cylinders had an internal leak they would eventually get out of sync a bit.

Wayne440

If the cylinders are tied together at the closed end, they should act like a double ended steer cylinder. The aux toggle should move it left and right just like it will turn an auger forward or backward.
The only downside would be if one of the cylinders had an internal leak they would eventually get out of sync a bit.
FWIW, the only Meyer plow I have seen used two single port, single acting cylinders- one for "left", one for "right".

OP
OP

18-cummins

FWIW, the only Meyer plow I have seen used two single port, single acting cylinders- one for "left", one for "right".
That is correct. This is why I am stumped and don't think I can make it work with the existing cylinders. I would have to purchase cylinders with a supply and return on each cylinder correct? Also where would anyone recommend to pick up cylinders like this?

Tazza

Staff member
That is correct. This is why I am stumped and don't think I can make it work with the existing cylinders. I would have to purchase cylinders with a supply and return on each cylinder correct? Also where would anyone recommend to pick up cylinders like this?
No reason why it won't work that way, as you can reverse the flow from the aux hydraulics, you can make it move in either direction.
I have a backhoe that has a setup close to this, it has fluid that enters in at one end of the cylinder only, pressure from one end makes it move one way, pressure from the other reverses it. So it's not uncommon to have cylinders like this.

Wayne440

I think it should work OK as it is, but will probably move quickly. IIRC, the cylinders are not large, it won't take much fluid volume to go from full left to full right.

OP
OP

18-cummins

I think it should work OK as it is, but will probably move quickly. IIRC, the cylinders are not large, it won't take much fluid volume to go from full left to full right.
How would I hook it up from the cylinders to the bobcat? Tee both existing cylinders together and run it to the supply on the bobcat? I would think there would have to be a return somewhere. Thanks

flyerdan

How would I hook it up from the cylinders to the bobcat? Tee both existing cylinders together and run it to the supply on the bobcat? I would think there would have to be a return somewhere. Thanks
You would plumb it just like it was one cylinder. Say the ports are on the closed end, when you activate the tilt to the right, the left cylinder pushes out, which retracts the right. When you angle to the left, the right cylinder extends and the fluid in the left one goes back to the reservoir. When you let go of the switch, the hydraulic fluid in the closed circuit prevents the blade from deviating from the angle.
You can get away with this on a paired cylinder array like this where it wouldn't work on two separate cylinders.

OP
OP

18-cummins

You would plumb it just like it was one cylinder. Say the ports are on the closed end, when you activate the tilt to the right, the left cylinder pushes out, which retracts the right. When you angle to the left, the right cylinder extends and the fluid in the left one goes back to the reservoir. When you let go of the switch, the hydraulic fluid in the closed circuit prevents the blade from deviating from the angle.
You can get away with this on a paired cylinder array like this where it wouldn't work on two separate cylinders.
Ok. So plumb it with one cylinder to the supply side of the bobcat and the other cylinder to the return side?

flyerdan

Ok. So plumb it with one cylinder to the supply side of the bobcat and the other cylinder to the return side?
Yes, you should have a thumb switch that determines which direction the flow goes, so you can reverse an auger, etc. so you won't have a return line per se.
If you don't know which side of the aux corresponds to the thumb switch you might have to reverse the hoses if they are backwards, not that big of a deal. It might take a while to get the air out but it should work fine.

OP
OP

18-cummins

Yes, you should have a thumb switch that determines which direction the flow goes, so you can reverse an auger, etc. so you won't have a return line per se.
If you don't know which side of the aux corresponds to the thumb switch you might have to reverse the hoses if they are backwards, not that big of a deal. It might take a while to get the air out but it should work fine.
Ok I was looking at it completely wrong with one just being a supply and one a return. Makes complete sense like when I use my rock hound one direction makes the times turn and the other lifts the times up so I can dump the bucket. Thank you very much I'll try to get this project wrapped up Tuesday.

jhmeg2

this looks like an old thread, but I just finished a similar project up.
works great if i can get traction on my ice skating rink driveway

cdmccul

Got pics? I'm going to making one that uses an UTV (side by side) blade I can get cheap.

(As a partsman one time I ordered the wrong blade... Now almost 10 years later the shop still has it, and I can make it up to the owner by buying the mistake I made.)

jhmeg2

Got pics? I'm going to making one that uses an UTV (side by side) blade I can get cheap.

(As a partsman one time I ordered the wrong blade... Now almost 10 years later the shop still has it, and I can make it up to the owner by buying the mistake I made.)

Attachments

• 20230123_214708.jpg
    20230123_214708.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230111_152136.jpg
    20230111_152136.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 80