Smoking blue 873 g

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcat Foy

Hi guys I'm fairly new to this whole bobcat deal but I picked up an old 873g for cheap and it's been running fine but bogs under load at times and I'm trying to rid the original gas that was in it and it's smoking blue as I'm almost out of the gas. I did compression test for the hell of it and all 4 cylinders are at 360 on the money . Help!!

OP
OP
B

Bobcat Foy

Also very very important question I ordered four new injectors from eBay as far as the quality I'm not sure but I did buy the best ones they had but they are not Deutz Which I believe is not an issue but can I just install them as they are or is there a particular way you need to install them and obviously they will be installed correctly but do I need to bleed the air out after or anything I should know??

Tazza

Staff member
Also very very important question I ordered four new injectors from eBay as far as the quality I'm not sure but I did buy the best ones they had but they are not Deutz Which I believe is not an issue but can I just install them as they are or is there a particular way you need to install them and obviously they will be installed correctly but do I need to bleed the air out after or anything I should know??
Sadly, 360PSI is a bit low, i think the blue smoke is engine oil being burnt from cylinder wear or a bad turbo that is feeding oil into the cylinders, but i do suspect cylinder wear is the cause.
I don't believe you need to do anything special with the injectors, just make sure to replace the copper sealing washers under each injector.
No need to get the air out, it will bleed as it cranks, it will run rough to start with, but will clear up.

OP
OP
B

Bobcat Foy

Sadly, 360PSI is a bit low, i think the blue smoke is engine oil being burnt from cylinder wear or a bad turbo that is feeding oil into the cylinders, but i do suspect cylinder wear is the cause.
I don't believe you need to do anything special with the injectors, just make sure to replace the copper sealing washers under each injector.
No need to get the air out, it will bleed as it cranks, it will run rough to start with, but will clear up.
Wonderful news but could be worse but one question... As I am a new bobcat owner when I compression tested the cylinders I used the glow plug attachments but I had the injectors open because I read you should which seemed strange to me. Should I only test through either the glow plug or injector and leave the other one in place for more combustion? Makes sense to me

OP
OP
B

Bobcat Foy

Wonderful news but could be worse but one question... As I am a new bobcat owner when I compression tested the cylinders I used the glow plug attachments but I had the injectors open because I read you should which seemed strange to me. Should I only test through either the glow plug or injector and leave the other one in place for more combustion? Makes sense to me
Ok so I went back and did the compression test without having the injector open and I received a reading of 500 on all cylinders.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok so I went back and did the compression test without having the injector open and I received a reading of 500 on all cylinders.
Wow, that's good compression, now that you know the compression is good, i wonder where the blue smoke is coming from, possibly the turbo? or bad PCV valve?

OP
OP
B

Bobcat Foy

Wow, that's good compression, now that you know the compression is good, i wonder where the blue smoke is coming from, possibly the turbo? or bad PCV valve?
Well Tazza it's funny you say that because my new turbo came in today well what a pain in ass that is to take out!!! I need help!! Why are there 2 oil lines going into top and bottom of the turbo and another one coming in on a special tee that's on the intake side please help??

Tazza

Staff member
Well Tazza it's funny you say that because my new turbo came in today well what a pain in ass that is to take out!!! I need help!! Why are there 2 oil lines going into top and bottom of the turbo and another one coming in on a special tee that's on the intake side please help??
Sadly i have no idea, i'd have thought one in, one out, one for oil in one for oil out.
With the Deutz oil cooled engines, is the oil for the cooling system tied into the lubrication system too? as in when you change the engine oil, does it drain the cooling system too? if not, i wonder if one set is for lubricating oil, the other is to help cool it.
Just a thought, never owned or serviced one.

OP
OP
B

Bobcat Foy

Sadly i have no idea, i'd have thought one in, one out, one for oil in one for oil out.
With the Deutz oil cooled engines, is the oil for the cooling system tied into the lubrication system too? as in when you change the engine oil, does it drain the cooling system too? if not, i wonder if one set is for lubricating oil, the other is to help cool it.
Just a thought, never owned or serviced one.
Ok I'm sorry it's one line in and one out for cooling the turbo as it gets over 1000 degrees!! As far as the Deutz engine the oil is used for cooling and lubricating which keeps it simple it's all one shot except the gear box takes 10 gallons of oil which is only changed once a year. The Deutz engine is supreme compared to Kubota I believe for one it's German made and ther run for 10,000 hours before overhaul if taken care of. There is a third oil line that is teed in before the intake which boggles me... why have that there? It's a 2001 machine so things have changed but I changed out the original turbo and hooked it all up as I should and it runs great!! Now I have a wheel bearing leaking isn't that something!!! It never ends but all I know is this machine picked up a 4K wooden shed without issue and drove it about 100 yards no hydro issues or any issues. That's some serious weight and mind you I wasn't aware of the exact weight until after the fact. Thanks for your input and don't worry I will be asking you many more questions ????

Tazza

Staff member
Ok I'm sorry it's one line in and one out for cooling the turbo as it gets over 1000 degrees!! As far as the Deutz engine the oil is used for cooling and lubricating which keeps it simple it's all one shot except the gear box takes 10 gallons of oil which is only changed once a year. The Deutz engine is supreme compared to Kubota I believe for one it's German made and ther run for 10,000 hours before overhaul if taken care of. There is a third oil line that is teed in before the intake which boggles me... why have that there? It's a 2001 machine so things have changed but I changed out the original turbo and hooked it all up as I should and it runs great!! Now I have a wheel bearing leaking isn't that something!!! It never ends but all I know is this machine picked up a 4K wooden shed without issue and drove it about 100 yards no hydro issues or any issues. That's some serious weight and mind you I wasn't aware of the exact weight until after the fact. Thanks for your input and don't worry I will be asking you many more questions ????
Glad it's running well.
Yeah, turbos can get really hot, i have seen some dyno runs and you watch the headers from the motor to the turbo glowing RED, so it gets a little warm :)
An axle seal isn't really bad, you have removable wheel hubs to gain access to the seal, loosen the bolts holding the outside of the hub on. Loosen them a few turns, put two bottle jacks behind the hub and the frame and pump them up, hit the bolts with a BIG hammer and hopefully the hub will pop off, it's a taper and key fitting, so you need to break the taper lock.
These machines do have loads of power, i have an S250 that has some serious lifing power. 80 odd HP Kubota, it just goes and goes.