Small used skid steers: Case 1816 vs John Deere 90 vs ??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfriendly

Looking to buy a smaller, older, used skid steer. ROUGH Criteria: What is important...Low gross weight of machine (Under 3000 lbs), stability, 600-1000 lb lift capacity, would be nice to have a diesel but not necessary. One option is a Case 1816, operational weight 2090lbs, 700lb lift capacity, 16hp onan gas, 36" or 44" bucket(?) $3500 obo running Another is John Deere 90, operational weight 2825, 700 lift capacity, 23hp onan gas, 47" bucket, $3000 running, looks to be in good shape. Any thoughts on other machines that I should keep an eye out for, or experiences with either of these? Thanks very much for any input or thoughts etc!

lesgawlik

I have had 2 1816s. I don't know anything about the JD. I can tell you that there are a number of 1816s out there. There is a fairly good supply of parts, some new, even though these machines go back to the 70s. The one thing I don't think you can find is a centrifugal clutch - they told me I bought the last one two years ago. There are no clutch shoe repair kits anymore, at least that is what I was told. You can have the shoes made by a brake shop. 1816s came with mechanical, centrifugal and electric clutches. I've had the electric and the centrifugal. There are a lot of parts available for the Onan engine. It was used in dozens of lawn tractors. Most people replace the Onans with little two cylinder engines of about 20 hp. The 1816 was designed to fit through doors. If the wheels are mounted the narrow way, the width is 35", I think. If you get a set of manure forks, you can take the tines off and mount a snow plow on the backing plate. It makes a nice plow.

Latest posts