SL3410-Engine Ticking Sound

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jjones65

I have the SL3410 skid steer, Isuzu Engine. Somehow the oil dipstick tube came out of the engine block and allowed a short period of low oil for the engine. The result is now rapid ticking sound from top of engine. Sounds like a valve or lifter???. I pulled the valve cover and looked at the cam lobes and they look good, not scoring or galling. I need to check clearance from lobe to shim and that might give me my answer, but can anyone sell me if it might be as simple as a worn shim causing excessive valve chatter? Any ideas on diagnosing without pulling the head at this point? I was thinking I could pull the camshaft (ovehead mounted which is nice), then pull the shims and see if I see anything. Any info on this would be appreciated.

brdgbldr

Make sure that you don't have an exhaust leak at the head before getting too far in. I've seen a couple of people fooled by this before.
Also make sure all of your lifters/valves are adjusted properly. There may not be a flat spot on your cam now but a loose lifter will make one eventually.

OP
OP
J

jjones65

Thanks for the info. I did pull the head, surprisingly simple. Have not dissasembled the cam and valves yet but they all seem to move properly. I had checked the valve lash prior to disassembly and found that the #1 intake had no gap at all during the entire stroke. I though this would likely be a broken valve or valve keeper. Doesn't appear to be broken valve but will soon see whats in the valve assemply.

OP
OP
J

jjones65

Update on the Gehl SL3410: I pulled the head and didn't find anything abonormal other than valve lash out of spec. Did a valve grind / lap and set the valve lash to spec and reassembled. Ran okay for a while but noise got worse then pushed a con rod through the block. I pulled the engine and now am looking for options on finding a shortblock or replacement engine.