Skid Steer vs CTL

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

First of all, I am new to the site and wanted to compliment everyone...there is a lot of good information here! Now to my question... I am looking to purchase my first skid steer or CTL. I would love to have an all wheel steer model, but I'm not sure I can afford one... Anyway, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a skid steer and CTL? Which one will create less ground disturbance? I don't anticipate doing a lot of digging, and will be purchasing a wide array of attachments; stump grinder, snow removal equipment, breaker, pallet forks, grapple and some sort of truss boom or crane attachment...

skidsteer.ca

There is no doubt a ctl spreads it weight over a longer foot print and in most cases will sink less. It will ride smoother on many surfaces by not falling in the dips and holes.
To offset this many owners feel that ctls cost between $10 and $15 per hour more to operate to cover the initial upfront costs and the maintenance of tracks, rollers and sprockets.
Tires tend to perform just as well on asphalt, concrete and frozen snow surfaces. They can be chained up for extra winter traction, and tracked up to perform about 1/2 as good as a ctl in soft ground surfaces. There are many posts debating both, a search of this forum should turn up many of them.
Ken