skid steer bucket with teeth or tooth bar attatchment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TRXQUAD

I HAVE A 66" BUCKET THAT I WOULD LIKE TO WELD TEETH INTO AND WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING A TOOTH BAR ATTATCHMENT FOR MY 72" BUCKET. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE ATTATCHMENT TYPE? I AM PRIMARILY USING THE MACHINE FOR SNOW REMOVAL AND I HAVE A PROJECT THAT I WOULD LIKE TO START . DIGGING 700 YARDS OF MATERIAL FROM THE BACK OF MY PROPERTY.

skidsteer.ca

I have a 66" bucket with a tooth bar for my 773, but I never take it off as I have a 72 inch smooth bucket. So I just swap the buckets. Further I rairly use my tooth bucket as I seldom do any excavation. But it does seem to help the machine dig when the need arises.
I guess if you want to purchase just one bucket, a tooth bar is a good option. But for me I prefer the convience of just grabbing my second bucket.
Ken

OP
OP
T

TRXQUAD

I have a 66" bucket with a tooth bar for my 773, but I never take it off as I have a 72 inch smooth bucket. So I just swap the buckets. Further I rairly use my tooth bucket as I seldom do any excavation. But it does seem to help the machine dig when the need arises.
I guess if you want to purchase just one bucket, a tooth bar is a good option. But for me I prefer the convience of just grabbing my second bucket.
Ken
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT DIGGING WITH A 72" BUCKET ? I THINK I WOULD PREFER TO WELD TEETH ON MY 66" BUCKET AS MY 72" BUCKET IS BRAND NEW WITHOUT A SCRATCH AND MY 66" IS A LITTLE BEAT UP . WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE TEETH TO WELD ON ?

bobbyg

Ken
i had a tooth bar on my last skid...but i traded the machine in...the tooth bar was great, you could loosen up the bolts slide it out and flip it up to have the smooth edge for finish grading...it was made by Thomas im not sure if all the tooth bars do that but it is very useful, so you dont have to remove the bar just loosen the screws...the downside is when the bar is flipped up it is hard to get a full bucket of material in...it kinda gets in the way, but it was worth that little bit of aggrevation right now im looking at a 4 in 1 bucket and im leaning towards another tooth bar... good luck

skidsteer.ca

i had a tooth bar on my last skid...but i traded the machine in...the tooth bar was great, you could loosen up the bolts slide it out and flip it up to have the smooth edge for finish grading...it was made by Thomas im not sure if all the tooth bars do that but it is very useful, so you dont have to remove the bar just loosen the screws...the downside is when the bar is flipped up it is hard to get a full bucket of material in...it kinda gets in the way, but it was worth that little bit of aggrevation right now im looking at a 4 in 1 bucket and im leaning towards another tooth bar... good luck
If your machine is 66" or less I'd recommend you stay with the narrow bucket, just because it will be easier to push the narrower bucket into virgin soil.
In my expierence digging is tough work and a narrow bucket just helps. That is the whole point of teeth, to concentrate the force, and a narrow bucket does that to.
I'd never heard of a swing up tooth bar, does it just slide forward to unhook off the cutting edge, then you pivot it up?
Ken

charger

If your machine is 66" or less I'd recommend you stay with the narrow bucket, just because it will be easier to push the narrower bucket into virgin soil.
In my expierence digging is tough work and a narrow bucket just helps. That is the whole point of teeth, to concentrate the force, and a narrow bucket does that to.
I'd never heard of a swing up tooth bar, does it just slide forward to unhook off the cutting edge, then you pivot it up?
Ken
THERE AWESOME!,THEY SLIDE FORWARD TO UNHOOK FROM YOUR CUTTING EDGE AND THEN YOU CAN FLIP IT UP,INSTEAD OF FLIPPING MINE I JUST REMOVE THE TWO BOLTS AND REMOVE IT COMPLETELY.

sterlclan

THERE AWESOME!,THEY SLIDE FORWARD TO UNHOOK FROM YOUR CUTTING EDGE AND THEN YOU CAN FLIP IT UP,INSTEAD OF FLIPPING MINE I JUST REMOVE THE TWO BOLTS AND REMOVE IT COMPLETELY.
bobcat sells nice bolt on teeth with replaceable ends I believe mine were 22 dollars each Jeff

bobbyg

bobcat sells nice bolt on teeth with replaceable ends I believe mine were 22 dollars each Jeff
ken... not sure if you will be able to see this link...but this is the flip up tooth bar i was talking about...this was on my old machine... http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cf04b3127cce8f2983248a4900000016108AbNmTdm0YtT

Tazza

Staff member
ken... not sure if you will be able to see this link...but this is the flip up tooth bar i was talking about...this was on my old machine... http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cf04b3127cce8f2983248a4900000016108AbNmTdm0YtT
Thats a pretty snazzy setup. How does the tooth bar lock into place? to prevent it riding up when digging.

bobbyg

Thats a pretty snazzy setup. How does the tooth bar lock into place? to prevent it riding up when digging.
tazza, it has a groove that locks right into the cutting edge...then to flip up you loosen the bolts pull it from the cutting edge and flip up and tighten...very useful

arlen

Markham Welding in North Carolina makes a sturdy tooth bar for a bobcat. I got a good deal or teeth and the weldable bracket on e-bay

I personally would not weld the teeth. If you have a spare bucket lying around its no big deal. but if it is your only bucket some times you are better with out the teeth like smoothing dirt. I have a tooth bar and it is two bolts on each side of the bucket and works great. The teeth can be replaced if needed when the wear.