Sickle bar mower help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cemiii

I bought a brand new Wolverine sickle bar mower at an auction. I finally got around to trying to set it up and ran into a problem. Everything went on my skid fine the blades are working as they should but the sickle arm lift ram is not working.
The thing came with no instructions but has an electric switch that gets mounted in the skid cab and sends A 12v charge to a servo on the ram to lift or lower the bar. I am getting 12+ volts at the wires where I attach to the servo but no action on the mixing server.
Can anyone suggest what I should be trying to troubleshoot from here? And I can't intuitively figure out how that mixer is supposed to work.
I contacted Wolverine but they have not been very helpful so far. Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
C

cemiii

Is it possible that I just do not have sufficient hydraulic flow to actuate the system . I tried to mount it on my Thomas wheeled 153S but note that it only pumps 8gpm with 2450 psi.
I also have a Case Tr270 that pumps near 25gpm at 3050. It's a big job to make the switch, but if consensus is that this could be my problem, then I will need to buck up and tackle it though I would prefer it on the old wheel skid.

mtfkepl

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the connections: Make sure all the wires are securely connected to the servo and the switch. It's possible that a loose connection is preventing the servo from receiving the signal it needs to move.
  2. Test the servo: Disconnect the wires from the servo and test it directly with a 12V power supply. If it doesn't move, then the servo may be faulty and need to be replaced.
  3. Check the switch: Make sure the switch is working properly by testing it with a multimeter. You should be able to see a change in voltage when you flip the switch on and off. If the switch is faulty, it may need to be replaced.
  4. Inspect the wiring: Check the wiring for any signs of damage or wear that could be causing a short circuit. This could be preventing the signal from reaching the servo.

mtfkepl

Is it possible that I just do not have sufficient hydraulic flow to actuate the system . I tried to mount it on my Thomas wheeled 153S but note that it only pumps 8gpm with 2450 psi.
I also have a Case Tr270 that pumps near 25gpm at 3050. It's a big job to make the switch, but if consensus is that this could be my problem, then I will need to buck up and tackle it though I would prefer it on the old wheel skid.
It's possible that the hydraulic flow on your Thomas wheeled 153S may not be sufficient to actuate the sickle arm lift ram on your Wolverine sickle bar mower. The required hydraulic flow and pressure specifications for the mower should be mentioned in its user manual.

If the required hydraulic flow and pressure are higher than what your Thomas wheeled 153S can provide, then it's likely that the mower may not work as expected or not at all. In that case, you may need to switch to a different machine that can provide the required hydraulic flow and pressure, such as your Case Tr270.

Alternatively, you could consider installing a hydraulic flow divider or flow control valve to reduce the amount of hydraulic flow required by the mower.

foton

this is just a wild guess , but using a 3 point pto powered sickle mower before ,I do not see how you could get one mechanicaly to work on 8 gpm at the speed the blades shuttle at. but I could be wrong easily.

charc1971

That was it. Insufficient flow
Can i ask u a question? I also bought one from bigiron auction and am trying to figure out how it works? Theres only the 2 wires coming off the solenoid on hyd block? It that all it needs to work, is power on and off? What switches the motor on, and changes valve to turn motor on and off? Maybe im overthinking this? But its got me confused lol any help would be really appreciated? Thank u very much.