Sell or Keep?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Reds Skid Steers

742B with a Mitsubishi 4G32 engine, with 3400 hours showing. Blowin blue smoke. No PCV valve to check that I can find,even though book says it has a PCV valve no one can find one on it. Not really sure if it's a good idea to put money into it to it. Hard to get parts for. It's been a good machine so far. I removed the hose on top of the valve cover to check and it's blowin oil like crazy blows it all over the engine. Not sure if I want to put an engine (rebuilt) into it or new. Without fixing it I need to think of a fair price for selling it. I have a winter bucket, metal tracks, grapple bucket and a new brush cutter. (11 gallon per minute flow machine). With all attachments or without, what should I sell if for? Attachments alone all together are worth about 7 to 8 thousand.

Last edited:

brdgbldr

The price of skid steers varies greatly just by where you are located.

I just sold my 742B, in good working order, with a 4 in1 bucket, a set of forks and steel tracks for $10,000. I'm in Oregon USA. Mind you that I originally got the machine from an auction for $3,000 because it was not running.

I would suggest doing a good internet search and checking the prices that similar machines are going for in your area. A lot of the auction sites keep descriptions of the machines, and the prices they sold for, posted for quite some time.

You might try contacting :

They rebuild the 4G32 engines and might sell rebuild kits. You may also check some local machine shops to see what they would charge to rebuild it.

OP
OP
R

Reds Skid Steers

I've done research in and around Minnesota. Mostly around 10 grand and even as high as 12 grand running. With my attachments at least 5 grand added.

wings5j

I don't think I was blowing as much oil as what you described but I had a similar issue. I will have to look for where my PCV valve is but I solved most of my problem by installing an air/oil separator in that line from the valve cover ( I just have to remember to dump the oil canister once in awhile.). My compressions are all good and the machine runs great.

Just an idea FWIW.

John

Dave J

My Brother-in-Law has a 742B. First question, have you been greasing the slide and universal between the engine and the pump? If not, sell it because taking the engine out will be a nightmare. We put a factory rebuilt in at 6,000 hrs and it did not take long for it to start blowing smoke again (about 1,500 hrs). Pulled it to rebuild and found 3 cracked pistons. Don't know why it was running at all. We got parts from NAPA and rebuilt it. He has it as a second machine and it runs great.