Self leveling

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LIMaint

Looking to get an understanding of what the self leveling feature does exactly and if it is worth it. Have used older skid steers that haven had this feature.

Tazza

Staff member
From what i'm aware, the only time its really usefull is loading trucks with pallet forks. As it keeps the load level all the way up so nothing falls off. With that said, you can easily do it with your tilt/lift function by hand (or foot).

skidsteer.ca

From what i'm aware, the only time its really usefull is loading trucks with pallet forks. As it keeps the load level all the way up so nothing falls off. With that said, you can easily do it with your tilt/lift function by hand (or foot).
It tends to spoil you though.
The hyd leveling models simply add so of the lift hyd flow to the dump side of the bucket cylinder to keep things level. On my 773 it cab be switched off too.
Then of couse there is mechaical self leveling like the case 1845
Ken

Zorack

It tends to spoil you though.
The hyd leveling models simply add so of the lift hyd flow to the dump side of the bucket cylinder to keep things level. On my 773 it cab be switched off too.
Then of couse there is mechaical self leveling like the case 1845
Ken
Basically that adds a extra level of safety(unintentional pun)?

Tazza

Staff member
Basically that adds a extra level of safety(unintentional pun)?
I don't see that it's any safer, it just helps people that want to be lazy. I was considering buying one for my 743 but i can do the same with my lift/tilt pedals which are a LOT cheaper than the kit.

OP
OP
L

LIMaint

I don't see that it's any safer, it just helps people that want to be lazy. I was considering buying one for my 743 but i can do the same with my lift/tilt pedals which are a LOT cheaper than the kit.
Thanks...

Eric

Thanks...
Its safer for rookie operators or home owners renting a skidsteer for the weekend. It prevents you from spilling dirt, rocks, and concrete back onto yourself if you don't manually tilt the bucket forward as you lift the arms when loading trucks.
This actually happened to me when I first ran a Bobcat. We where demolishing a wall from the inside of a old auto repair shop. I had been loading the bucket with blocks all morning for my boss to load into the truck. I was stacking the blocks way over the back of the bucket for him. Well he decided I should give it a try while he took lunch. I assumed it had self leveling like skip loaders I had ran in the past. Well I was wrong. I dumped about 8 blocks on to the top of the cab. Luckily I didn't get hurt. But I have had baseball size rocks fall from the bucket and hit my knee before and it sure does hurt. I cant imagine what a cmu block would do. My boss then pokes out from around the corner and says " oh, your suppose to tilt the bucket forward as you lift". I thought to myself, that would have been nice to know 30 seconds ago. Lesson learned!!!
Me being an experienced operator now, I find that on my 963 that I do a better job at leveling the bucket while loading trucks. When I turn the leveling on it prematurely tilts the bucket forward sometimes spilling a little dirt. Not allot of dirt, but just enough to make a little bit of a mess on someones driveway at the end of the day.