Sales Rep Questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jbeaudin

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Im starting a career in Compact Equipment sales, primarily focusing on skid steers. My questions to you is fairly broad based, but what traits do you find separate the reps you like to do business with from the reps you stay as far away as possible from?

Tazza

Staff member
It's a hard position to be in.
I know i don't like the hard sell, if you push me, i loose interest, but as a salesman, you need to not be too pushy but persistant to get the deal. There is a limit of what you can do to be the "nice guy" If people like you, they will pay and be happy to deal with you again.
The next issue is, say there is an issue, just how far can you go to help the customer out? if you can show you are doing everything in your power, it goes a long way, even if you don't succeed.
Good luck though, i hope we hear about your success with your new job prospects

TriHonu

The main traits I want are:
1. Be Knowledgeable, not only about your equipment, but about the competitors equipment. Listen to what I need the equipment to do. Then be prepared to explain what equipment (both yours and the competitors) will best work for me. Point out the strengths and weaknesses of those machines. Be prepared to discuss operating costs and repair parts costs. What ultimately sold me on buying my loader was an excellent service department and resale value.
2. Be Honest. The first time I hear a salesman state something I know is not entirely truthful, I'm done talking with them. You need to be upfront about maintenance issues and problems that are being found by customers.
3. Follow-up. If you tell me you are going to do something, do it. At a minimum, phone me and tell me why you are going to be delayed.
The big thing that will shut me down is a salesperson that assumes that they know what I need and attempts to hard sell me.
By the time I talk to a salesperson, I have done extensive research and am speaking with you to fill in the gaps. If you know less than me about your and your competitors equipment, there is no point in me wasting time talking to you.
All equipment will need service. If the dealership you work for has a bad service department or significantly higher parts costs, you will never get to talk to me anyway...

farmshop

The main traits I want are:
1. Be Knowledgeable, not only about your equipment, but about the competitors equipment. Listen to what I need the equipment to do. Then be prepared to explain what equipment (both yours and the competitors) will best work for me. Point out the strengths and weaknesses of those machines. Be prepared to discuss operating costs and repair parts costs. What ultimately sold me on buying my loader was an excellent service department and resale value.
2. Be Honest. The first time I hear a salesman state something I know is not entirely truthful, I'm done talking with them. You need to be upfront about maintenance issues and problems that are being found by customers.
3. Follow-up. If you tell me you are going to do something, do it. At a minimum, phone me and tell me why you are going to be delayed.
The big thing that will shut me down is a salesperson that assumes that they know what I need and attempts to hard sell me.
By the time I talk to a salesperson, I have done extensive research and am speaking with you to fill in the gaps. If you know less than me about your and your competitors equipment, there is no point in me wasting time talking to you.
All equipment will need service. If the dealership you work for has a bad service department or significantly higher parts costs, you will never get to talk to me anyway...
Know what you don't know. Don't be afraid to say you'll get an answer from someone that knows. Listen to what customer is a looking for. Up selling 1 size or 1 model newer ok. Trying to sell someone a fully loaded 3000# track machine when they were looking at a 1500 wheeled machine will turn people off

Wayne440

Know what you don't know. Don't be afraid to say you'll get an answer from someone that knows. Listen to what customer is a looking for. Up selling 1 size or 1 model newer ok. Trying to sell someone a fully loaded 3000# track machine when they were looking at a 1500 wheeled machine will turn people off
Do not play me for a fool, or waste my time.(1) When I say, "tell me the lowest price that will buy this machine right now", do not say a price, then lower it when I start to leave or the next day when you call back. (2) IF you are not the one who can approve a deal -" I have to check with so-and so" - you are not the one I want to talk to. (3) The price is the price- no last minute "we forgot to add... (4) Do not tell me what I can afford- If I'm talking to you about a machine, I have the funds to buy it. (5)Call a week or so after the sale- ask how the machine is working and at least act like you care about my satisfaction after the money has changed hands.