S650 cigar lighter wiring

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thwerench

Morning everyone, well, I was hooking up a back up camera on my machine and was looking for somewhere to pick up power and ground, I thought the cigar lighter might work and stuck my test light in it to confirm power, and yup, I accidentally shorted the center electrode to ground, I heard the fuse pop and lifted the cab to check the fuse panel under there to find that there all good, including the fuse marked lighter, is there another fuse box?, or fuse holder for that circuit somewhere that I'm missing before I start looking deeper ?

Thanks...........Steve

OP
OP
thwerench

thwerench

So I checked that catalog brdgbldr told me too and there's nothing specific for the fuses, just shows where the fuse box is and numbers them, the fuse for the cigar lighter is good, as is all the others in that fuse box but I'm pretty positive I heard a fuse pop while sitting in the seat and shorting out the lighter, any thoughts on this before I start trying to follow the wire loom to find the problem?

Steve

mrbb

well do you have a volt meter, or if not, can you just plug something into the lighter socket to see if its working(phone charger or??) that will let you know if you blew the fuse or if socket is still having power!

when I added a cig lighter to my Old skid steer, I just ran wires from battery with an inline fuse, se up, used the standard 2 SAE plugs,
so, its a quick plug like for my battery tender, this way I plug charger in, to charge battery with the battery cord connection, and to POWER cig lighter, I just plog that plug into again a fused line to battery, and reverse when parking machine and letting tender charge things(if you follow)
and unplug cig lighter, so never have to worry about running battery down when parked,
Not the best way to do things I am sure,
but work for me, was done fast in the cold a few yrs back and never got around to doing it in a more professional set up!
machine is kept at a hunting camp property, so its low on the property list of things to do better on, BUt food for thought for you if all your looking for is a cig lighter plug to plug a back up camera in(some camera's have cig lighter plug and play set ups)

OP
OP
thwerench

thwerench

Thanks Mrbb. I've got the camera working. Found another harness option the machine didn't come with and used that but would like to get the cigar lighter working again for phone charger or whatever. No power at the cigar lighter plug. Auto tech by trade. I'm pretty sure I heard a fuse pop but can't locate

Mustang Guy

Try looking on the back of the lighter socket. I'm going to use the backup alarm circuit.
As an aside, I'm going to install a backup cam too. Where are you placing the monitor screen?

OP
OP
thwerench

thwerench

It's a 7 inch screen and fits nicely fastened to the roof just inside the door. Centered in the cab. Hangs down about an inch lower than the door frame trim and angled towards the operator. Worked out pretty well actually
I wanted to be able to view behind me whenever working the machine so opted for the camera to run all the time

mrbb

well MY suggestion is when adding a back up camera, BUY the largest screen you can fit, unless you have really GOOD young eye's
as , things get tiny fast on smaller screens

as for where to mount it, that all tends to come out to the lay out of the cab and where its possible and how creative you are with mounting idea's

on a few things over the yrs I helped add them too, we went from using the simple peel and stick double sided tape on some things, to hardware mounted with brackets either supplied or homemade , some were made with hinges to be able to fold down when in use and up out of the way when not needed
Last one I helped install, we used a larger earth magnet glued to the monitor, and then it could be moved to a few spots, and again, out of the way when not in use, as some times, trying to have them in easy eye sight, isn;t easy, and I found if there not in your basic sight view, you DON"T use them as much,as when they are in line with your eye's more!
Just a heads up NOT all monitors can handle having a magnet on them,! , ask the OEM before using one on it if you go that way, found this out when one stopped working we did as such, HAHA!

Now, Back to your Cig lighter, I know on some after market sockets, they actually have fuses on the bottom of the plugs, as in remove socket and at base or inline just below it is a fuse!, so might b worth pulling it to see? maybe some where along the yrs someone swapped the OEM one out?
If you have to replace the outlet(or just plan to install another one)
I really like the one's that light up, makes finding them easier if you work at night in them, or sure does for me and my old eye's!
plus the new one's now have the phone charging ports , I recommend one's with covers, typically marketed as WATERPROOF one's!, this way you get or MAYBE get better hardware that won't rust out as fast or just having a cover can keep dust and dirt out, as well! any Good marine parts place would carry decent one's , or sure they can be had on the Ebay/amazon like sites too

Erockk

Not sure how similar wiring is to a s175 but when I had similar problem I had lost all power to cigarette lighter, windshield wipers and hvac blower. If i remeber correctly it was a relay marked (switched power) and I think there is also a fuse that should be marked the same.

Latest posts